Can you pay off installment plan early if phone discounted?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACG12, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

2. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

Yes you can but they won't let you pay ahead. Like make two payments instead of one. But you can pay it off whenever you want and get it unlocked.

3. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I pick it up today, I can pay it off tomorrow?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It depends on how they are going to give you the discount. If you are financing the whole full price of the device and then getting some sort of a monthly credit for the discount, then if you pay it off early you might not get the full discount basically. If on the other hand you are financing just the sale price with the discount already accounted for in it, then it sounds like you can simply pay off that price in full and that's it.

5. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

I bought an iPhone 7 256 gig from bestbuy 150.00 off paid 699.00 plus tax on next billing shows 699.99 for 30 payments. So the payments are based on what you paid for the phone not the full price of the phone.

6. jetsam macrumors 6502

You'll probably have to wait until you get your first bill from your carrier - then you can pay in full, if you want.

Edit: Now that I think of it, AT&T OLAM had a place where I could pay off the balance in full within a day or two of activating the phone. (I've chosen not to, since I don't need the phone unlocked, and I see no reason to pay off an interest-free loan early.)

I bought an SE from Best Buy last month on sale, and also had to buy it on a carrier installment plan (AT&T Next, in my case). The credit agreement they gave me explicitly states "Prepayment. If you pay off all of your debt early, you will not have to pay a penalty."

7. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I want to switch to T-mobile soon to get on 3 lines for $100 promo, but I don't know how long it's going to last.

And my bill cycle with ATT starts on Saturday 3/4 and I'd rather switch before that date.

8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I don't think bestbuy has T-Mobile iPhones. I'm here where I'm at they don't sell T-Mobile service. Cause they have terrible service here.

9. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm aware of that, sucks :(. That's why I want to buy an AT&T one, pay it off asap next day if possible and get it unlocked so I can move my service to T-mobile.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yes you can.

I bought a 256 GB iPhone 7 (AT&T) at Thanksgiving. BBY was offering a $250 gift card and I love a deal! Gift card paid for the AppleCare on the day, with something left over. :)

Just paid the phone off in full. No problem. Need to get it unlocked now.

11. jetsam macrumors 6502

If you activate the phone with a Verizon SIM card - even from an inactive account - the phone will be unlocked permanently. (See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2006324/ )

Activating with Verizon will free you from having to wait for AT&T to unlock the phone after you pay it off. In fact, if the phone is unlocked, you can port first, and then just wait for the bill from AT&T.

Hopefully you have a friend or family member with a Verizon account.

12. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My sister has Verizon. But won't Best Buy activate the new phone there in store? Or should I just purchase the phone online and have them ship it?

13. jetsam macrumors 6502

Though they will ship you the phone unactivated, you said your billing cycle ends Saturday. You may not have time to have the phone shipped by then.

I'll leave it to someone who has done this in-store to answer about how to get them to do it, or if it's even an issue. It shouldn't be a big deal - put in Verizon SIM, activate iPhone, remove Verizon SIM, insert AT&T SIM.

14. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

You might check into it but I think buying a Verizon one would be a better option since they come unlocked out of the box.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Actually, as mentioned in a few preceding posts, the Best Buy ones are basically unlocked as long as the first SIM you put in is a Verizon one.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do what the poster above said.
    If they insist to activate it at the store bring your sisters sim for a minute and do the initial activatation with the verizon sim.
    Then its unlocked for good.
    After it activates and lets you in the homescreen put the AT&T sim inside and let them set it up.
    You're the customer so tell them what you need done and why.
    If they give you any problems tell them where to go or order it online and do the whole thing at home on your own :D
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    He's trying to get the special promo Best buy has for his current AT&T account.
    He doesn't want to pick up a verizon one since he doesn't have an account with them and he will not get the AT&T promo he's talking about above.
    Read what he's describing that he wants to do above.

17. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went ahead and bought the phone yesterday (iPhone 7 32gb) and I'm staying with AT&T after retentions lowered my bill. Can't complain, I got the phone for $479 + $100 Best Buy gift card.

18. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

Yea I screwed up and activated mine with att sim now it's locked.just like you said applejuiced.

19. jetsam macrumors 6502

Glad it worked out for you. And you still have an iPhone with the Qualcomm modem (and CDMA compatibility), which is a plus, even if you stay with AT&T.

20. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

Hope this fellow who bought 32 gig used Verizon sim to activate so it didn't lock.But if going only with att no big deal.just the idea that it's locked is what irritates me. Don't really see the point if you don't pay for it they black list it anyway.