can you play music from iphone thru airtunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by twoodcc, Jul 28, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

is it possible if i have an airport express, to play music from my iphone thru the speakers of the airport?

2. FJR macrumors regular

No.

I am hoping that one day Remote will allow you to do this.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, thanks for the info

4. retroneo macrumors 6502a

If your Mac or PC is on, you can control it via Remote and navigate and play the music through the Airport Express - it's brilliant.

All from your iPhone.

5. FJR macrumors regular

Yeah, I use this quite a lot. I think most of my friends believe its just being played from my phone because that is what it looks like. I tried to explain to one how it works and he (not a very tech savy friend) was just like "this sounds like voodoo to me."

I even have a good story story about it. A friend of mine just bought an iClone (believe its the new LG iClone) and was trying to push the whole "it does everything your phone does." We're at my house and i have my music playing though my airport express. I say "this song is a bit overplayed", open up remote and find a song by his favorite band. It takes a couple of seconds for him to realize what I just did and he replies "Really?! Why do you always have to do stuff like that, can't you just let me enjoy my phone?!"

6. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Well, kind of. You can play your itunes library through the speakers of the airport controlling it with your iPhone. I use the free remote app for this. Since your library has the same songs that are on your iPhone, it's pretty much the exact same thing.

I had speakers throughout my house that were pretty much useless before this app. Now my house is constantly playing my favorite songs. I can honestly say that the remote app for the iPhone has changed my life. My parties are now off the hook!

7. FJR macrumors regular

Yep. No more fretting over setting up the perfect playlist (well I still do that anyway). A song seems to not match the mood of the party, just find something that does.

I just have one airport express, but I pair my laptop up with one set of speakers and then use the airport for another. I honestly threw a party shortly after I got remote just beccause I wanted to use it in that context.

8. ZigZagLens macrumors member

I absolutely agree with you - the Remote app really did improve life around my house (especially as I have whole-house speakers connected to my home theater system, with an Airport Express connected to the receiver).

But back to the thread topic, it would be great to stream from iPhone to Airport Express - say a friend comes over and has music on his iPhone he wants to play. Probably a battery killer, but...

9. sweetcaro macrumors newbie

What I would like is to be able to use the Pandora app on my iphone and play it through my itunes speakers in the house...
    Remote won't work for this because it only controls iTunes...

What I have done right now is install Airfoil which allows you to use the airtunes from any browser/winamp/windows media etc....
    but it still doesn't allow me to go directly to pandora from my iphone...
    so I use the free VPN application to control my laptop where i have pandora.com opened on firefox......

... would be nice to skip the VPN step and simply play ANYTHING from your iphone through airtunes.

10. yurkennis macrumors newbie

Is it possible to adopt this workaround for a Windows PC? Anyway, I wonder how VPN does the job in this case. Thanks in advance!

11. bluesyboy115 macrumors newbie

Pandora and Airtunes

As of recent weeks, Pandora has added Airtunes. This comes from personal experience, though I've found absolutely no support article to support this. As a note, I do have a paid Pandora One account.

I assume if you have the Pandora app on the iPhone and you're an Airtunes using network that in the bottom left corner on the "Now Playing" home page that you will have an icon to use Airtunes.

If you have questions about this I can provide more info and pictures if you contact me directly. As I said I haven't found ANY specified support yet.

12. simonjt macrumors newbie

Airport Express to play music from iPod Touch to Apple Hifi speakers

I have an iMac (in room at one end of our house, connected to a Virgin supplied Netgear N series router), an iPad and 64GB iPod Touch. The iPod Touch has 16,000 tracks on it and I want to be able to use it as a remote and play all the music from it through my set of Apple Hifi speakers (in room at other end of house). I have controlled the iMac using the remote app on the iPod Touch, but I do not want the iMac to be switched on. The iPod Touch and iPad currently pick up the router signal fine in any room (upstairs & downstairs). I have been told I need an Airport Express at £81 plugged into the mains near the speakers, then connected via Monster cable using 3.5mm jack from Apple Airport Express to Apple Hifi speakers. I then want to be able to control my music from the iPod as a remote, in any room in my house and play through the speakers. Will this work? Also, do I need the £29 set of cables or will a basic 3.5mm to 3.5mm (Airport Express to Apple Hifi speakers) cable suffice?

13. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Yes you will be able... replace "iPad" with "iPhone" and "iMac" with "MBP" and we have the same setup ;) A standard Set of cables will work fine.

14. simonjt macrumors newbie

Great, thanks. I also thought it should work until I told my brother-in law what I had in mind (hence my question), he thought they may be a problem with the Apple Airport Express picking up the wireless signal from my Netgear router. As I said, it is a black Netgear N series router, WNR2000 which is supposed to be the latest router that Virgin provide. I might ring Virgin, although they're normally useless and when I've ever mentioned Apple, they are never able to help and spout company policy from India, about not ever being able to help with Apple. My brother-in law also said any cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable should work. I'll just have to buy the Airport Express with a cheap cable and try it, if it doesn't work, I'll have to buy two and bin the Netgear router!
    How do I set the Apple Airport Express up? Would my iPod Touch give me the choice of two routers to choose from?

15. Dfunkman macrumors newbie

This may not help if u really need to involve ur mac, but if ur using ur iPhone and ur on the iPhone function, there is an icon to the right of the forward track skip button (in the play controls, at the bottom of the playing artist) when u click this button it should say 'iphone' and '(your airport express name)' choose ur airport express here and it wil play straight from ur phone to airport, to play back through iPhone just select iPhone. I'm not sure if this works for the 3G/3GS but working nicely on my iphone4. Hope this helps!

16. superchargedAU macrumors newbie

Pandora plays directly from iPhone to AirPort Express

This works like a charm. Wish I had known about / tried this earlier. Thanks for the tip.

Just have the iPhone join a wireless network on which the AirPort Express is connected to speakers, start Pandora on the iPhone, click the little selector to the right of the volume slider in Pandora, and off you go.

I might have to start using Pandora now more than iTunes based on this feature alone!

17. MrKristopher macrumors newbie

Can anyone else confirm Pandora AirTunes support? It sounds great, but I don't want to buy AirTunes unless it works. :p

18. larrynyc, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

larrynyc macrumors newbie

Pandora iPhone app works with AirTunes if your iOS version is new enough

Yes, Pandora (the app on the iPhone) works with AirTunes. I just did it earlier today with my regular free Pandora login. No computer needed; just the iPhone, and the AirTunes box hooked to the stereo system. There's no longer any need for the VPN stuff or other odd workarounds mentioned in older comments.

When you play a Pandora station, choose "Now Playing."
    On the bottom, underneath the thumbs down/up and nav buttons, there's a volume slider. Directly to the right of that volume slider is an icon. That's the AirTunes icon. It's small and easy to overlook.

Press it and you can select your AirTunes speakers. Great!

(The iPhone has to be in WiFi mode on the same network of course.)

I noticed something interesting. I tried a few other apps, like a piano keyboard and a synthesizer, and they were all going through AirTunes, too! Then I played a YouTube video, and it was going through AirTunes as well!

So it's apparent that AirTunes support is through the iPhone operating system, rather than Pandora itself. I'm running 4.2.1 on an iPhone 3GS. To check your OS version number, go to Settings>General>About and look at Version.

19. spineal macrumors newbie

al

yes you can use pandora app and it has aitport connectivity in the bottom right of app

20. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    Yes, Airport Express is equipped with AirPlay support: Using AirPlay.

21. blovely macrumors newbie

Spotify

Hi,

I use Spotify with Airfoil on my Mac, and control it with my iPhone. You can play practically any song to any of your Airport Express receivers/speaker sets, and use your phone as a remote control!

Blovely

22. leeo macrumors newbie

good comments

i play music from my iphone thru the speakers of the airport.