Can you pre order with a debit card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Jun 10, 2010.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I just read that you can't pre order with a debit card. Is this true? If so is it only true for pre ordering with Apple? Does anyone know if you pre-order with AT&T if you can pay by debit card if it has the visa logo. I have always just gone to the apple store and paid cash before but I was trying to avoid the line this time. Thanks.

2. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

you have to have a credit card to preorder. doesnt matter who you choose to preorder from.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Where did you read you can't pre-order with a debit card ?

4. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I dont know about all that. I was in Radio Shack yesterday and they said you could pre order with cash. I plan on using a prepaid Visa but nevertheless. He specifically told me that since RS just gives you a gift card (which is a CC of sorts) you can pay anyway you like. But thats RS.

5. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

If it has a VISA or Mastercard on it, it could be ran as credit as well !

6. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just happended to read it in another thread and wanted to find out if its true.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As long as it has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it you can use it to pre-order but you had better have the money in your bank or you're screwed.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Here is the AT&T answer:

When will my credit card be charged if I preorder?

At the point your order is placed, we will authorize the funds to cover your purchase. However, your credit card will not be charged until the order is shipped. Remember to use a credit card as debit cards cannot be used to preorder.

source: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Dave

9. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but they know if its a debit card or not. I seem to remember something about his when i bought my 3G at the apple store. I dont think they took debit cards even if you were buying it in the store. Has this changed?

10. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

at radio shack you are putting an actual deposit on the phone of 50 dollars i believe. i think they are the only place that requires you to put a cash deposit down for you order.

11. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i wonder if one can go to the actual apple store buy an apple iphone gift card for the exact amount of the phone they want then use that to preorder online.

12. orangerock macrumors regular

Simply not true if you pre-order through Apple. I used a debit card to pre-order the iPad 3G...there is a pending placed on your account when the order is placed and then the full charge goes through once the item ships. In short, yes, you can pre-order with a debit through Apple.

13. nopassn macrumors regular

Unless something has recently changed, you should be able to use a debit card...

I used my Visa debit card to pre-order my iPhone 3G, MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS and iPad... I'll be using it to pre-order my iPhone 4 as well.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hope you realize that apple puts a hold on the amount and then charges the account, which results in 2x charge for a small amount of time. You have to be sure you have that much money in the bank.

15. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you can't use a debit card can you use a pre paid credit card to pre order?

16. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

prepaid credit cards are accepted anywhere regular cards are. when i called 1-800myapple the rep said it was fine.

17. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I really wish that AT&T and Apple would come together and make statements about all of these questions so people can get the right information. No one seems to know what is correct and what is going on.

AT&T says no debit cards, but that does not include on whether or not debit cards with the logo counts. I always use mine as credit, so I would not see how it would not count, but it should be addressed.

18. StephenRzucidlo macrumors member

you can as long as it has visa or mastercard and that you have the enough money in your bank account

19. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is true but who has debit cards that don't has the visa logo on them anymore. I know I have not seen one in a while.

20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you can use a debit card...if you have enough to cover the amount of purchase at the time you set it up you'll be fine...just make sure the amount to be debited is in when it ships or the transaction will be denied....when you make a charge with a debit, by not using your pin you are in essence using credit from Visa or Matercard... most preauthorizations only require a minimum of a dollar in your account to make charges...depending on your bank and how much is in your account they will treat it as an overdraft and pay it or return it...more costly transactions are usually returned unpaid as NSF.. if AT&T or Apple stopped accepting debit cards for pre orders it's news to me

21. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Believe it or not, there are people out there that just use regular debit cards still!!! I know, I know, it is so 2003. :D

(Not to be taken in a mean way - just a joke!)

However, I think that this seems to be the big mix-up. People remember and still do have just regular debit cards, even though most people have debit cards that work as credit cards as well. Due to this, the word debit cards is confusing everyone.

22. scolomb104 macrumors newbie

Certain financial institutions such as federal credit unions often have these debit cards without logos. FYI.

23. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I guess i will just try to pre order with my debit/credit card and hope for the best. Thanks for the responses.

24. k24eg22 macrumors newbie

this happend to me with my 3g when i preordered i waited 3 weeks to find out it was canceled cuz i used my debit card...

25. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

i used a debit card to buy my 3GS from AT&T