iPhone Can you prevent connecting to a specific wifi network

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by DougJrS, Apr 14, 2015.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

I have a retina MacBook Pro and an iPhone 6 that I use for work. When I use the MacBook in my office I have to join the guest wifi network due to my companies security policy. This requires that after you connect you open a browser window and provide a webpage your username and password.

This goes pretty fast since the mac remembers all the info and you just click through.

Here is the issue, once I connect on my Mac my iPhone tries to connect and if I don't do the same browser login process the phone basically has no data connection and sits draining its battery trying to connect till I forget the network or turn wifi off.

Is there a way to tell my iPhone to never try to automatically connect to this network?

Doug

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you look at the network settings under WiFi it says that it will automatically join a known network. I don't think it's possible, not even on Android.

You could remove that network from your list, don't know if that's a good solution for you.

3. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I think you'll need to "Forget This Network" after each time you legitimately join it, and are finished.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I could be off on this, but once you are on a WiFi network and go to WiFi settings on your iOS device, there should be a little blue "i" in a circle icon next to a WiFi network you joined, if you tap that you should get settings related to that particular WiFi network, and there are often things like auto-join and/or auto-login there--perhaps if you disable those it would do what you want?

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I read this a little different I think.

WiFi network info is shared between devices. Once you connect on one, the rest of your iCloud logged in devices are aware of the association and make use of it. Looks to me like he wants this feature normally but in this one spot with just his phone he wants the phone to be unaware of the network and not try to join.

I can't think of a way to do this other than to tell you to turn your wifi off on your phone at the office or join the network. The wifi login credential sharing is a global setting between your devices.

I think even if there were an app for this, the GPS fencing would be more taxing on the battery than the wifi trying to join. (GPS fencing because you could in theory use an app to know you're at the office but iOS does not allow this) My bigger issue would be no data on the phone so no updates while in the office. right?