Can you purchase AppleCare at a later date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I want to get the 64gb 4S, but I need to get AppleCare because my 3GS lasted about a year and a half then I was told tough luck and I don't want to have to deal with the same thing.

Can I purchase AppleCare at a later date or does it need to be purchased with the phone at time of sale?

And is AppleCare+ really worth it? I mean, it's $100, but if your phone breaks, you have to pay $50 so if it breaks twice, that's already $200 you have spent. Just doesn't seem worth it, but maybe I'm wrong.

2. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Yes you MUST buy applecare at time of phone purchase!

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Are you sure? I thought you could within 90 days of your purchase or something like that?

4. JLemm macrumors regular

You have 1 year to buy applecare from the original date of your purchase. I bought my applecare in June this year for my iPhone 4 i bought at launch! Apple gives you a 1 year warranty!

5. r2fa3l macrumors regular

Within 1 Year of your Purchase.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Does the one year warranty cover everything that applecare covers?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

It it true that AppleCare could be purchased at any time during the original one year warranty.

However, this is apparently not true for AppleCare+, it must be purchased together with the covered equipment. From Apple's site:
    Text at the bottom of the page: http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    that makes sense because of the accidental protection.

9. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Anytime. I normally buys them from eBay or Amazone, its cheaper there. No problem for at eBay for me. It works and I have used them for many laptop repairs at Apple Store.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

WRONG!

You can buy AppleCare anytime during the product's 1 year warranty.

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The old apple care you had a whole year. I think with the new accident insurance you have to buy it with the phone.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

True for AppleCare, but not for AppleCare+ which seems to be what the OP was asking about.

13. stoppard macrumors member

Can anyone tell if there is any way to guarantee you will get a chance to buy applecare+ when purchasing through verizon? Verizon says apple will offer it later but apple says it has to be purchased together with the device. Sprint for instance offers applecare+ with preorders but verizon does not (only confirmed for iphone 4 8 GB preoders).

Alternatively can anyone tell me if it is possible to add a line to a family plan when purchasing a verizon phone through apple online?

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

What would it cost if the phone breaks twice WITHOUT AppleCare+? Depends on the breakage. Assume major problems (shattered screen glass), out of warranty Apple has previously offered $200 swap for a refurb so that would be $400. Or you can have screen replaced by a third party, still around $200. So if it breaks TWICE, then AppleCare+ will save you $200.

If it only breaks ONCE, AppleCare+ would cost $150 and paying out of pocket "might" cost $200 so AppleCare+ saves you $50.

If it doesn't break at all, of course, AppleCare+ costs you $100.

Is it worth it? Beats me. You decide.

15. jnick macrumors member

Insurance on the iPhone from Verizon is $11/mo. + $169.00 to replace the phone.

AppleCare+ is $99 once, and $49 per incident, for two incidents.

I don't care how you attempt to do the math, AppleCare+ is a better deal AND it's dealing with Apple, not Asurion.

It's a no brainer for the phone. If you don't pick it up, you're either rich and can afford to pay $649 for another device or foolish.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Excellent post, with accurate information :)

Remember Apple has a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Far greater than that of the carriers.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless your iPhone is lost or stolen. Then AppleCare+ does nothing for you, while Asurion will replace your phone for about $200 less than it would cost you to buy another one from your carrier.

18. kozz macrumors member

I'm thinking about doing squaretrade warranty, you can catch them for 69.99 for 2 years of coverage with accidental damage protection also.

19. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Thanks I was going to post that!!!

20. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I didn't see an answer to the How do you get the applecare+ while preordering from Verizon?

21. mikepro macrumors 6502

I think if Verizon does not offer it, then order it at the apple page and have it delivered on the same date.

The Apple web site "Important note" says they have to be purchased together. However, it is interesting that it doesn't seem to say this in the actual terms and conditions that it has to be purchased together. In section 4.2 it says coverage does not apply to:

(viii) A pre-existing condition on any Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you
    purchased the Covered Equipment

Then, later in section 11 it says:

(ix) The terms of the Plan, including the original sales receipt of the Plan and the Plan Confirmation,
    prevail over any conflicting, additional, or other terms of any purchase order or other document, and
    constitute your and Apple’s entire understanding with respect to the Plan.
    (x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
    Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
    terms

So, according to their terms and conditions, you can purchase it within one year. But, it won't cover anything that happens before you purchase it. So, if you drop and smash your phone in 6 months, and then try to buy the warranty and have it fixed, that shouldn't be covered. But, how would they know it broke before you bought the warranty? I mean, it would seem fairly obvious if you bought Applecare+ and a few days later walk in with a smashed phone that "just happened" and want it replaced.

But, I think for all of us doing pre-orders, it should be fine to buy it separately from Apple if the carrier does not offer it at check out. To be safe, I would buy it right away though.

22. tclt76 macrumors newbie

Could not purchase AppleCare+ for Iphone 4S

I tried to add AppleCare+ for my iPhone 4S when I placed my order online this morning; however, I couldn't find anywhere to add it. After my order was placed, I called Apple to get it added and was informed that it could not be added to the iPhone 4S as it was a pre-order. The rep told me I could add it later. I just hope that's true.