Can you purchase lion twice (2 sep copies) on same computer?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kultschar, Jul 20, 2011.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Can you buy Lion twice on on the same computer with 2 separate Apple IDs??

I cannot download it where I am due to my ISP but my friend can where he is

If he buys it and installs it etc for himself, is it poss for him to log in with my ID and also download it again for me under my name and then pass it to me on a USB stick when I next see him?

Im not sure how this works e.g. does it just download a dmg to your downloads awaiting you to execute it or does it try installing automatically?

We would both like it under our own seperate IDs

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

if you are having issues downloading it perhaps it's because the server is busy. Maybe wait a few days or go to the Apple store and download it there. I don't think it is possible to do what you mentioned. Maybe try him giving it to you as a gift thru the mac app store then you can just refund him the next time you see him.

3. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

No its my ISP - only have 3GB a month where I live :(

Sounds like I will have probs getting this then

4. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

If he purchases the two copies with a different Apple Account each then it should work.
    Alternatively you could also just purchase Lion on your Account where you are but without downloading and get his Lion copy(since its the same) from a USB.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Is there an Apple store near you? Have you tried the gift idea? At worst you will pay extra fees.

6. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

No - not in my country! Whole country is restricted bandwidth wise!

7. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my friend has just installed Lion however he said after downloading it automatically installs hence im not sure what happens if he downloads another copy with another account.

Your second idea, me purchasing and using his USB copy - would this not be registered to him though?

i.e. im thinking like iPad Apps / music. The files are signed under the account downloaded from hence it wouldnt really work and it the install would be under his name?

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

So I assume your friends lives in another country. Wait and purchase it on a usb drive in august.

9. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yesin UK - he flys back this weekend!! :)

10. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

He doesn't have to download it again if he copies the downloaded file before he goes on with the installation. After all the Installer waits for the user to prompt.

No

11. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Once it's installed, you're out of luck, as the install files are deleted upon completion of the install itself. Additionally, you don't have to install it after downloading it. I downloaded Lion this morning before I went to work and it's waiting for me to install it once I return tonight.

Have your friend sign out of the Mac App Store, then sign in with your account. That way, you can download your own copy - just remember to copy the installer files from the .dmg. In other words, look in /Applications form the Lion installer, right-click (or control-click) and select Open Package Contents (or something like that). I believe the actual installer is in the Contents folder. It's called ESD Installer or something similar. Copy that file to a thumb drive or other external drive and you can install Lion on your own computer at a later time.

12. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome - cheers for clearing the process up, I understand how it works now!!! :)

In case I do have to download it here, does the Mac App Store let you pause and resume downloads (like iTunes does)

e.g. I often buy an album and download it over the space of few days (on days where I have not used up too many MBs)