Can you put 16GB RAM in a 2010 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Siderz, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I know this is asked/answered often but I just want to double check and get up to date in case there have been any kind of changes.

My brother's 15" MBP 2010 is getting slow, so I suggested a RAM upgrade. He has the 2.53GHz model with 4GB RAM, is it possible to go up to 16GB, or is it definitely true that it only supports 8GB like the Apple site suggests?

I've seen loads of posts in places surrounding RAM upgrades, and the maximum stated by Apple being lower than what's possible.

Also, can I just replace a 2GB module with a 4GB module, giving 6GB RAM, meaning there's a 4GB module and a 2GB module, or do you need to make them both the same size?

Lastly, any suggestions on how else to speed up his system? I might just get him to format the whole thing, I've used it a few times and he's terrible at file management and stuff, overall he's not too good at taking care of these things...

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Don't know for sure about the 16,but I know you can do 2GB and 4GB, as long as they are the same speed. For a boost in overall speed, I recommend an SSD, which will make the computer start up a lot faster and open apps quicker, among other benefits.

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The model only supports 8GB.

Unmatched RAM sticks will remove dual channel ability, so you'd be taking a 10-15% performance hit on RAM speed going that route.

If the system is not running out of RAM in the first place, adding more will not improve performance whatsoever.

What do his pageouts/swap files look like?

5. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good question, sorry for this late response, MacRumors doesn't seem to send emails that often anymore.

I'll have to check when he gets home. What kind of numbers do you think would mean he needs more RAM? I noticed today that on my 11" MBA with 4GB RAM that I had about 100MB page outs today, I can't really do much about that, but is that the kind of number that would mean it needs upgrading? My brother likely uses his MBP a lot more than I use my MBA.

----------

Yeah, those are the kinds of threads that I've seen over time about how people have managed to put more than Apple claims you can put in.

Oh well, I guess 8GB should be plenty, it wouldn't be worth buying 16GB only to find that it will only accept the 8GB, my old iMac had 8GB and that was enough for a lot of things I did.

I would install an SSD, but my brother is actually thinking of selling the MBP and getting another setup, so I'm not sure if it would quite be worth going through the hassle of getting an SSD just yet.

I think that maybe if I get the 8GB, it'll speed up, and he'll decide against getting an upgrade, and then it would be worth getting an SSD.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

100MB of page outs is fine. When it gets into the GBs it is time to think about more.