Can you put an OWC Aura Pro 6G Solid State Drive into a Late 2012 21.5 inch iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmadmaqu92, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jmadmaqu92, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

jmadmaqu92 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have found some conflicting information on forums and the net in general about the slot on the Logic board to install a IDE SSD. I am wondering if anyone has confirmed whether it exists? I emailed Ifixit and they said the following: "There actually is a slot on the Logic board to install a IDE SSD." My new rig is a Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 (Late 2012) configd with 1 TB HDD. I just purchased it and will receive it soon. Before I go cracking the case and voiding the warranty I wanted to see if anyone else had 1. confirmed that the IDE slot exists on this iMac version. 2. if the Aura Pro would fit into the slot?

Would be a great upgrade along with 16 total Gig of Ram and make cracking the case totally worth the effort.

Thanks!

2. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael

Wouldn't suggest it

The Late 2012 21.5" iMacs we received didn't have the flash storage slot available unless an SSD was ordered as a factory option. In those, we did test our current SSD line and found them not compatible.

That's not to say OWC won't have compatible SSDs down the line, but at this time the memory is the only internal upgrade we're offering.

3. jmadmaqu92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Michael, Thanks for the reply. So the OWC Aura blade style SSDs are not compatible bummer. :(

To clarify your comments where you also talking about the OWC 2.5 inch SSD's as well?

I guess I should have ordered the Fusion version of the iMac 21.5 Late 2012 but I did not want to spend the extra 300 dollars. Oh well.

I would love for OWC to have an HDD upgrade option for the 21.5 inch late 2012 iMac. It almost seems like a waste to crack the case open just to take the computer to 16 GB of memory when the real speed would come from an SSD and there aren't any SSD options. Thanks!