Can you put music directly onto an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iHateMacs, Oct 29, 2009.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Well I know you can through SSH, but is there a way to make them play through the IPOD app?

I don't have iTunes on my PC any more and don't really want to install it.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If anyone came up with a way to do that, it'll be huge news and be all over the 'net.

There are some programs that function as "iTunes alternatives," but they all run off a computer. Well, there are some that will run off a regular ipod (Nano and Classic), but since iPhone doesn't have disk mode, you need to have them on a computer to use them with an iPhone. Don't remember their names right now, but hopefully someone else will know.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I didn't think it was that big a deal once you JBed.

It works if you overwrite one of the existing songs but it still keeps the old details :) Not very practical.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The problem with copying songs to the iPhone or any iPod is that the iPod doesn't use filename and directory structure to organize music (in fact, iTunes renames the songs when it adds them to the phone and puts them rather randomly in one of 50 folders labeled F01 through F49). Song information is stored in a database, and any software to upload songs to an iPod must not only copy the songs but add their information to the database. I believe the database also contains checksums to ensure data integrity, so you also have to figure out how they hash the library and program software to calculate the new checksum and add that to the database. And, if you corrupt the database (which is very easy to do), none of your music can be played until you resync.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Like I said (maybe i write in invisible ink) you need Air Share.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

True, you can put music and other files on the iPhone via Air Share.

However, I don't believe that you can play these songs on the iPhone via the reqular iPod app which is what the OP wants to do. Unless I am missing something.

8. strike1555 macrumors 6502

No, you don't write in invisible ink. You just can't read very well.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's an iphone app.

11. lllll macrumors regular

is there a way I can put burned songs (mp3 format) to my iPod/iPhone directly?

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Did you read the post?

No. Not yet if you want to pay it in the iPod app. See every post above you for descriptions.

If you don't mind using other programs to play you can put them on with CyberDuck, netatalk, DiskAid, WinSCP and then play them with iFile or dTunes.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then no iPod function for you. Want it, install iTunes.

14. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I've installed Windows 7 so I don't have Itunes yet. My phone already has lots of music on, but I want to add more.

I don't have the same MP3s on my PC any more and if I sync with iTunes, won't it delete all the current music from the phone?

That is what I was trying to avoid.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will have a look at those apps that were suggested. I never thought about iFile. I guess that will only play one at a time, but it's handy to know.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So how come you didn't back up your mp3 files before installing Windows 7?

But since you didn't, get sharepod(http://www.getsharepod.com/), it should let you copy music off your ipod back to your computer.

16. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I have all my MP3's stored on external drives. They are safe.

It's just that knowing how iTunes works, even with all the sames tunes, it's not going to be able to match them up and it's still going to force me to erase the tunes on the iPhone.

It's not that big a deal normally, but previously when I synced iTunes and iPhone it fails many times and I have to sync over and over before all the tunes get across. Even then I have corruption on some.

It's just a lot of work to add a couple more songs :(

I originally though that once jailbroken anything was possible. I didn't realise that it was still a problem making the iPhone/pod play anything not synced with iTunes.

I am surprised that no one has had the inclination to figure that one out yet.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you just installed a new operating system, consider it part of the OS update process. ;)

You didn't happen to backup your iTunes library in addition to the mp3 files, did you? If you have your previous iTunes library backed up, you may be able to install iTunes under Windows 7, point it toward your old library, and have it sync without deleting all the music off your iphone.

I am sorry you've had problems with itunes, but I guess most people, including myself, have litte or no problems with it, so there is little motivation in the jailbreak community to create an alternative method of adding songs to the iPod app.