Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Someone who has an iPhone has recently informed me that you can't put your own media on the phone, and have to pay 99 cents for each song. Is this true? :eek:

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Someone who has an iPhone has recently informed me that you can't put your own media on the phone, and have to pay 99 cents for each song. Is this true? :eek:

If its on your itunes its on the Iphone.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe your friend is confused by the fact that you need to create an iTunes playlist first. Then you drag your songs onto the playlist, and finally you sync the playlist to the iPhone.

--DotComCTO

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Maybe your friend is confused by the fact that you need to create an iTunes playlist first. Then you drag your songs onto the playlist, and finally you sync the playlist to the iPhone.

--DotComCTO

Why would you need to create a playlist? Just rip the music and enjoy...

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Why would you need to create a playlist? Just rip the music and enjoy...

Unless your music library is under 7 gigs (or 3.X) you will need to sync from a playlist... (there is no manually managed music on the iPhone now... soon I hope, its available on the iPod Touch.)

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Unless your music library is under 7 gigs (or 3.X) you will need to sync from a playlist... (there is no manually managed music on the iPhone now... soon I hope, its available on the iPod Touch.)

that makes sense, thanks for the tip.

My collection is lower than 7 gigs which would explain why I never noticed.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
One small piece of advice on ripping music in iTunes. Be sure to set the compression scheme to MP3. (Preferences>Importing>Advanced) It's set to AAC by default. Set it to MP3, and the highest quality possible. This gives you the greatest freedom with your music collection as far as porting it over to other media devices. (car MP3 players, etc.... even a Zune, yuck)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.