Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeppsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Hi everyone!

Pretty much as the title says - is it possible to copy the songs on your iPod onto another PC? My reason for this is that all of my iTunes are on my PC at home, but I want to make a backup copy on my laptop at work. Is this possible? Sorry but I'm still a newbie to all of this so be gentle!! :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
They're not called "iTunes," they're just called "songs" or "music files." You listen to them with a program called iTunes.

There is a free but tedious method for transferring songs from a Windows iPod to a Windows PC by setting Windows to show hidden folders and files. Then navigate through the iPod Control folder till you get to a folder full of many folders listed F00 through to F49 (I think it's F49). Your music is in these folders, sorted randomly and sometimes with truncated names, they will copy over properly though, just drag them into a folder on the desktop, then when you're done add the folder to iTunes then consolidate your library.

You'll lose your playlists but keep the songs. There are some utilities that will allow you to do this more easily but they are fairly hit-and-miss.

Jeppsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Thanks guys - I managed to get them all over to my work laptop, so I can still listen to my music whilst my poor Nano gets fixed by the guys at Apple :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.