Can you RAID two disimilar drives if they are partitioned the same?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iHateMacs, Feb 23, 2010.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Hi. If you had a 250GB drive and a 500GB drive, could you use them together as a RAID 0 on a Mac Pro if you partitioned the larger drive to equal the smaller one?

You could then use the spare 250gb of the larger drive for something else.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

RAID works with logical discs, not with partitions. So the answer is no.
    You can stripe those two drives, but the 250GB of the larger drive are lost.

3. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Are you sure?

I successfully used two 1TB identical drives in both a RAID 0 and RAID 1 configuration at the same time.

I split them both down the middle (well a 80/20 split). Did a RAID 0 on the two outer most partitions for video editing and a RAID 1 on the inner most partitions for backing up photos.

I wasn't sure how two different makes/sizes of drives would work. It would be just a cheap option until I can afford two larger identical drives.

4. dazey macrumors 6502

look at softraid (http://www.softraid.com/). With that you can run split a disk into chunks and use different chunks for different raid levels. you can even link disks using different protocols (firewire, sata etc). Two of my disks are different sizes and I have the first sectors of both combined into a stripe array with the remainder left as normal storage. It lets you do exactly what you ask.