Can you recommend a good theft lock for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sartajc, Jul 9, 2007.

1. sartajc macrumors member

Ok, so i decided to buy a Macbook pro now instead of waiting, but being a college student in Austin i REALLY need theft lock.

Im not talking about the security cables either, im talking about things that can keep my macbook from being opened so people will less likely steal it.

Im already gonna install ialertu. but it doesnt work when the comp is closed i think.

Is there any good lock out there that prevents you from opening the macbook pro? Preferably with fingerprint technology?

2. letswastetime macrumors regular

i would check out lojack or undecover for security programs for your macbook. i just recently purchased a macbook from uni in august and my parents bought lojack with it for me. as far as i know, with lojack you install a program and register it with the local police station. i would check out their website for more info, plus it is sold through the apple store so you know its a quality product.

this wont prevent people from taking your laptop but it will definitely help recover it.

lojack is $99 for a 3 year term.
    undercover is a $39 one time fee.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm confused. You don't want a security cable despite the fact that there's a security cable port built into the MBP but you want to prevent it from being "opened" by unauthorized persons? If you don't want automatic login, turn it off in the Security pane in System Preferences. There's no way to physically lock the lid down on the MBP short of wrapping a bike lock cable around it.

Edit: You can also require your password to be typed in to wake the computer form sleep or screensaver. There's no stopping a determined thief but invest in a security cable to deter your laptop from walking off by itself in addition to using common sense and never take your eyes off your laptop while in public.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

1. Good password
    2. Auto-login off
    3. FileVault
    4. Password on screensaver
    5. OpenFirmware password
    6. Register your computer with Apple
    7. LoJack
    8. ialertu or Undercover
    9. iSight picture script on false login
    10. Kensington lock cable
    11-12. A good laptop bag with zippers that you can put a padlock around should you need to padlock it
    13. Backup (Leopard will make this easier) nightly or weekly.
    14. Get your laptop+software+accessories added to your renter's insurance ASAP.

5. john2006wright macrumors regular

great advice thanks!!

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Take it from someone who has been burgled. The only secure method is to keep your MBP with you at all times and hope you either do not drop it or are mugged.

Everything else - forget it. At best, Kensington locks and firmware passwords are minor inconveniences to the determined thief. As for lojack and the like, if they are not hardware embedded, then you have most likely wasted your money.

The thief who took my kit also made sure he took the install disks. He was not interested in my data, he just wanted hardware to sell quickly.

7. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

All thiefs are not determined. Using something simple like a Kensington lock stops opportunists who see your computer sitting there if you, say, leave your dorm room door open one day. Of course it isn't going to stop someone who is determined to get your computer. Nothing is short of keeping it with you at all times. There are ways to reset the OpenFirmware/EFI password, there are ways to get around software security, they are ways get to around anything. Sure you will never be 100% secure. But each little wall of protection does help, especially if its just some punk that sees a shiny MacBook Pro and wants to make a quick buck but really has no knowledge of how to get around your security measures.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I think Undercover is worldwide and I'm not sure about LoJack...

But from what I read, definitely get Undercover, I think they even have a student deal for 29$

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd say exactly the opposite. Undercover is some random company that I've never heard of, and Lojack is sold by all major computer companies, like Apple and Dell. My school also sells Lojack and recommends it for all students. It's just a more trusted company. I've heard some people say bad things about undercover in the past.

10. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I would have recommended MacLoJack as a possible free alternative to Undercover, but it seems the author was been caught up in that stupid "millions of colors" class-action suit and decided to brush off his users in favor of pouting. Oh well.

11. seahawk09 macrumors regular

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I would say a good physical lock is the key.

All your fancy lo-jacks and stuff, if the thief is a Mac user (that is a big IF), it can all be easily bypassed and removed.

13. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Hey all,

On the serious side of this question I think the best protection against theives is to just keep your computer with you at all time's and if you dont want people staring at your screen whilest you work then simply walk away or close your Mac wait till it's safe to restart your work.:) And if you can if you need to input a password into your Mac try and sit somewhere that no one can look over your shoulder to see what your typing. :)