Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Okay, the reason I want to do this is because I saw this blog post. Stephen Wolfram collects all sorts of data about himself, including 10+ years of keystrokes. I am interested in doing some of this myself.

I've searched Google, but most of the keylogger apps are for Windows, and the rest are not quite what I want. I'd like an app that can record what time of day I'm pressing keys, and record which keys I'm pressing more often. But I have no interest in recovering the text itself.

If it provided an inbuilt way of visualizing the data, that would be nice, but I'd by happy with something that exported it to a universal formal like csv.

I know there are some ethical concerns around keyloggers, so rest assured I am installing this solely on my own computer, which no one else uses.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'd like an app that can record what time of day I'm pressing keys, and record which keys I'm pressing more often. But I have no interest in recovering the text itself.
There aren't many keyloggers available for Mac OS X, and none that I've ever seen that does what you want.

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Whatpulse might do the trick?

https://whatpulse.org//

It's a competative tool used for games to see who is the biggest nerd in having the most keystrokes and distance with mouse. but you can also turn on the feature that u see which keys are used the most. and even export it.

I've been using it for a few years now.. nice data is generated already.

(oh, and my newby status on this forum might make the above information a bit plausible.. but look for yourself)

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Thanks, Whatpulse is perfect. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something important with all my computer time. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.