Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
You know, I never in my life (Born in 1990) "had" to watch a TV show every week. Then, I discovered LOST during it's fourth season and fell in love with it and when it ended, I just felt... empty as if I needed something to replace it. LOST ended last year and since then I have discovered and become obsessed with the following shows (in chronological order[almost all of which have been cancelled or ended!])

• The 4400
  • Weeds
  • Flashforward
  • Persons Unknown
  • Heroes
  • Prison Break
  • Kyle XY
  • No Ordinary Family

Are there any other good shows out there that I might like based on these? I do not really like shows that don't continue or at least refer to other episodes, I like a continuing storyline.

Additionally, if you like a good bit of the shows I listed but haven't heard of one of the other ones I STRONGLY recommend you check it out.

Thanks! -Dale

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Get outside more. No TV show "needs" to be watched every week.

We are approaching 10 years now without cable. The first couple of years it was hard when people talked about "must see" shows. But you know, our lives are not even a smidgeon harmed by not "getting" the [every single] TV cultural references.

We rent TV shows from the video store because they have a fantastic selection of shows you can't get on video or from iTunes. Mostly Brit stuff. What we save on the cable fees we plough back into video rentals. Though the local library has a lot of shows too, for free.

Best TV show ever, imho, was Intelligence. Canadian show. Watch at least 3 episodes, and then when the series ends you'll be as unhappy at it's premature demise as we were. Stupid CBC.

Update: Gonna back down a little bit. Took out "latest", added "every single" (see bold above).... Abstract makes good point at post #19

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007

Step off your high-horse buddy, "needing" to watch a SINGLE TV show at a time doesn't mean I don't get out. And if you must know I don't have cable either. I watch everything via my Apple TV and Netflix.

Thanks for the suggestion.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
You know, I never in my life ... "had" to watch a TV show every week. Then, I discovered LOST during it's fourth season and fell in love with it and when it ended, I just felt... empty as if I needed something to replace it. LOST ended last year and since then I have discovered and become obsessed with the following shows (in chronological order[almost all of which have been cancelled or ended!])

• The 4400
  • Weeds
  • Flashforward
  • Persons Unknown
  • Heroes
  • Prison Break
  • Kyle XY
  • No Ordinary Family

Thanks! -Dale
[Emphasis is mine]

But I like my horse! I can only go by what you wrote above.... read it as if you don't know anything about yourself, and then tell me what conclusion you reach, eh?

Not only am I going to stay on my horse, I'm going to switch horses.

When people recognize that 95% of American TV is designed to sell advertizing - that is, they are created to entertain you in order to get you watch the ads - you watch TV with a different eye. (Two big caveats: 1) I pick on American TV simply because it's so uniformly commercial - there is very little Public Broadcaster supported programming. Other countries put out their fair share of commercial schlock, but in each country the ratios are different. And, 2) This is not a reason to not watch TV. Just watch it with an eye as why it exists in the first place. It doesn't exist to entertain or enlighten. It exists to sell advertizing. Entertaining and Enlightening are merely tools used to sell those ads. Personally, I'm a sucker for anything Trek, or StarGate (sad admissions, I admit)... but there it is. But I only get to watch them when we are staying in a hotel. ps Canadian SciFi channel is much better than the US one, imhho (hh=high horse) )

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
You should watch fringe. Unlike shows like 4400, they will wrap up all the ongoing mysteries in the end.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
You should watch fringe. Unlike shows like 4400, they will wrap up all the ongoing mysteries in the end.

I think that may well be my next show, I am currently just starting to watch Jericho and I really like it thus far.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
[Emphasis is mine]

But I like my horse! I can only go by what you wrote above.... read it as if you don't know anything about yourself, and then tell me what conclusion you reach, eh?

Not only am I going to stay on my horse, I'm going to switch horses.

When people recognize that 95% of American TV is designed to sell advertizing - that is, they are created to entertain you in order to get you watch the ads - you watch TV with a different eye. (Two big caveats: 1) I pick on American TV simply because it's so uniformly commercial - there is very little Public Broadcaster supported programming. Other countries put out their fair share of commercial schlock, but in each country the ratios are different. And, 2) This is not a reason to not watch TV. Just watch it with an eye as why it exists in the first place. It doesn't exist to entertain or enlighten. It exists to sell advertizing. Entertaining and Enlightening are merely tools used to sell those ads. Personally, I'm a sucker for anything Trek, or StarGate (sad admissions, I admit)... but there it is. But I only get to watch them when we are staying in a hotel. ps Canadian SciFi channel is much better than the US one, imhho (hh=high horse) )

Gee thanks for pointing that out! We had no idea that tv was a business, thank god for smart people like you!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Gee thanks for pointing that out! We had no idea that tv was a business, thank god for smart people like you!

Not everybody gets it. And we are talking in thread that (appeared) to be started by someone who was "empty" when a TV show ended.

I'm not saying don't watch TV... I like it when I can watch it too... and I've watched many people miss out on important actual social interactions (imo, only of course) because they "needed" to watch a particular episode of something or another. And that's fine.... that is a statement about how interesting those people actually are, I suppose.

However, when the people who've stayed home go on and on and on about how much they really really really wanted to go out to the party/event/play/concert/hike/sail - But they just had to see how Jack/Linda/The Prez got out of their latest pickle... and that their lives would somehow be worse off if they didn't see it for themselves.... then that is a statement about themselves - and the industry that has perfected the business of getting people to give up what they want to do in order to watch an advertizing vehicle.

Cr*p - my horse just cr*pped again....

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Not everybody gets it. And we are talking in thread that (appeared) to be started by someone who was "empty" when a TV show ended.

I'm not saying don't watch TV... I like it when I can watch it too... and I've watched many people miss out on important actual social interactions (imo, only of course) because they "needed" to watch a particular episode of something or another. And that's fine.... that is a statement about how interesting those people actually are, I suppose.

However, when the people who've stayed home go on and on and on about how much they really really really wanted to go out to the party/event/play/concert/hike/sail - But they just had to see how Jack/Linda/The Prez got out of their latest pickle... and that their lives would somehow be worse off if they didn't see it for themselves.... then that is a statement about themselves - and the industry that has perfected the business of getting people to give up what they want to do in order to watch an advertizing vehicle.

Cr*p - my horse just cr*pped again....

You say I need to get out more instead of watching a TV show, yet you continuously post novel-length responses to comments in a hardly worthwhile thread. It was a simple question and I've gotten some awesome responses. You're spending way too much time defending yourself when you were the one that started attacking other people, not vise versa.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
You say I need to get out more instead of watching a TV show, yet you continuously post novel-length responses to comments in a hardly worthwhile thread. It was a simple question and I've gotten some awesome responses. You're spending way too much time defending yourself when you were the one that started attacking other people, not vise versa.

I'm sorry that I came across as attacking you personally. That was not my intention.

Based on your initial posting (which you have since expanded on) the suggestion to 'get out more' seemed to be a good one. And it certainly was not meant as an attack on you.

The rest of comments were not directed at anyone in particular, and I don't think can qualify as an attack.

My job requires me to sit in front of a computer for a good part of the day. Often I am waiting for things to happen. So I spend time on the MacRumours site. I can dip into the MR threads when I'm waiting, for short bits of time.

I'm usually, actually, very helpful. Especially on the photography side! Really! But re-read your 1st post as if you don't know you. You were "empty" because a show ended, and you were looking for a replacement. Fair enough, you've added more info since then.... but based on that statement, my suggestion was a valid one based on your 1st post.

Everything else I posted about TV and stuff may ;) have been just to get some debating going on. I can get a little bored while my pixels sort themselves.

PS If you look at my first response you will see I gave you a suggestion for a show too. It's no longer broadcast, but it is worth watching, imo. I was not entirely snarky.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
If you like serial dramas that features ordinary people in an extraordinary situation (like Lost), with advanced character development and interpersonal conflicts aplenty-- and you don't mind the occasional bit of gut-munching gore-- take a peek at The Walking Dead on AMC. Well written, decently acted, lots of subplots, and the zombies are detailed in cinematic quality rather than made-for-TV campiness. The second season is being filmed for release later this year.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure if you'd like it based on your other shows OP, but I find Modern Family hilarious!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

We are approaching 10 years now without cable. The first couple of years it was hard when people talked about "must see" shows. But you know, our lives are not even a smidgeon harmed by not "getting" the latest TV cultural references.

While I generally agree with what you said, I can assure you that you that understanding cultural references, including references to recent or classic films, is just another way that a person is equipped to share and connect with others.

Same goes for children. In a study I read about children and education, children who don't have a television at home (or who are very limited due to lack of cable) get better grades, but they also found that younger children entering school (6-8 year olds) do not have as many friends when they don't watch TV. This was a study from around 10 years ago, and I'm not in the education field, so I don't know if there is contradictory information or studies out there. ;)

Anyway, TV can be awesome. :) I don't really watch any show on TV except Top Gear because my housemate downloads the rest, so I also catch up on 30 Rock and The Office, and I have watched a lot of good movies.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
While I generally agree with what you said, I can assure you that you that understanding cultural references, including references to recent or classic films, is just another way that a person is equipped to share and connect with others.

Same goes for children. In a study I read about children and education, children who don't have a television at home (or who are very limited due to lack of cable) get better grades, but they also found that younger children entering school (6-8 year olds) do not have as many friends when they don't watch TV. This was a study from around 10 years ago, and I'm not in the education field, so I don't know if there is contradictory information or studies out there. ;)

Anyway, TV can be awesome. :) I don't really watch any show on TV except Top Gear because my housemate downloads the rest, so I also catch up on 30 Rock and The Office, and I have watched a lot of good movies.

You make a good point about children using TV references to help form social networks (though probably not with classic films). So I changed my stance to "every single" (instead of "latest") TV cultural reference.

On the other hand my cousin's kids grew up without TV (in the middlle of a large NYC suburb - not in the boonies) and turned out wonderfully and with lots of friends. They met their friends and creating their social networks by "getting out" and doing things. And because their parents worked their butts off to make sure the kids were involved in sports and plays etc. Small sample, I'll grant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.