Can you recommend Digital Video Camera to use with iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mdgm, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend me a good digital video camera to use with iMovie? I'm a home user, but I'd like to get one that does Full HD if possible.

Recommendations as to whether to get one with a hard drive, SD slot or whatever would be nice too.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. If you can point me to such a thread and/or give me an updated answer that would be nice.

2. simsaladimbamba

What is your budget and what and where exactly do you want to use the camera for?
    And a camera with using flash memory like SD cards is better suited if you move around a lot.
    But know, that when transferring the videos from the camera to iMovie, the video gets transcoded, meaning it will be converted to use a proper video editing codec, thus it will take quite some time depending on the CPU speed of your Mac.

3. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Similar thread

I posted a similar thread though I'm looking for a new cam under $1,000 except I use FC. I have been using miniDV tapes for my transfers and have only used a simple SD Camera a few times, where I bring in videos one clip at a time to FC.
    Just looking for a good site that can help me out with my choice or maybe someone who has bought a new video camera lately in that price range and has some input.
    Here's what I'm looking for in my new camera

Good lowlight (I like to get shots without spontaneously, so I don't have to turn every light on)
    - Lots of moving around so great stabilizer
    - portability
    - hard drive and SD card, incase I fill up the hard drive
    -1080p would be nice, though of course not needed
    - good a shooting speed shots such as sport shots, and dogs ( yeah I'm one of those who video tapes there dogs and YouTube it, why lowlight is important)

I want to get a pro camera but do not have the money, plus the add ons get really pricey. I can just rent a pro cam or borrow one when needed. I read more about pro cams them your typical consumer cam and just want the best cam for FC, and my small list above.
    Thanks for any sites I may not have checked. Plus consumer reports have been limited in what I read, nor am I fan of reviews on best buys site, just using them as example.

4. musique macrumors regular

musique