Can you recommend the perfect case for my needs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by heycal, Nov 29, 2014.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

I'd like to get a case for my space grey iphone 6. I'm currently using a white "Tech 21 featherweight ultrathin Evo Mesh" case that I grabbed in the Apple store when I got the phone and which an employee recommended as providing good protection.

I'd like to improve on this case if possible, with something slightly sleeker perhaps, and one that has the following characteristics:

1) Some degree of protection from drops. I do drop my phone from time to time, but I also don't want some bulky tank-like case ruining the look and feel of the phone. I can tolerate a moderate level of risk, but don't want to be reckless. So I'm trying to find that sweet spot being not too much and not too little protection.

2) Looks nice and slim profile.

3) Allows me to to touch all the actual metal buttons (power, volume, vibrate toggle). My current case has plastic buttons for power and volume, and I don't know that I love that, particularly the power key. (Although it's possible the plastic makes it easier in some instances? I really don't know.)

4) Has some sort of grippy back feel, or at least non slippery, but still slides into pants front pocket nicely. I think I like the way the back of Motorala phones feel, so something similar to that texture would be nice.

So, is there a better case for me out there, or is to hard to beat the one I have, which I would at least exchange for a black one?

Thanks!

2. ekoulak macrumors newbie

Check the thread I just posted

3. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, just looked at it. Case looks nice. Does it have the things I'm looking for in a case as mentioned above? (drop protection, sleekness, access to actual buttons, etc).

4. TheChrisBlaze macrumors member

This one!

Spigen Case Style Armor. However, rule #4 isn't quite followed. The feel is matte and smooth, but the form of the case makes it easy to hold, so the need for textured feel isn't necessary for this case.

[​IMG]

5. ekoulak macrumors newbie

Everything except for button access. However they are precisely located and very tectile so almost as if touching the actual button.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

7. goshgeegolly macrumors newbie

spigen, thin fit

8. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

9. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

10. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

For best drop protection get the Apple Store version. As 50 threads on this forum have noted, it has a larger lip and may be slightly thicker @ 1.2mm.

11. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, folks. I'll check out the ones mentioned.

The spigen case looks nice, except I hate the two-tone look. They really don't sell an all black case?

I guess the spigen case and ones like it without clear backs will block the LED flash that I've set to go off when I get a notification? If so, I might be fine with that if the case was otherwise excellent.

12. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just got back from the Apple store. Both the employees I spoke to there were very down on the air jacket cases. They thought not only were they impossible to get on and off (not that I would take mine out much), they said the case didn't offer great protection, and would break on a drop. They even said two customers had broken cases just taking it off their phones.

They said the Apple case they had for sale was a little better, but the bottom was exposed. Then they pulled out their own phones -- and both of them were using the same case I already have, the the Tech 21 Evo mesh thing. They said it was the best of the three cases we discussed, and recommended I stick with it if I have a tendency to drop my phone from time to time.

Are they right, or biased for some reason?

13. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

The Air Jacket removal is not a problem if one reads the removal directions which come with the case or watches Power Supports utube video on this. The PS AJ gives the best quality, protection and form factor.:D

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I agree that the air jacket is super easy to remove you just have to read the directions first. I have one but am looking for something a little more drop worthy myself.

15. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it stupid to spend 99 bucks for the Apple care for a phone (iphone 6, 16GB) that costs $649 brand new and go with just a super slim case?

16. LFCYNWA macrumors regular

no

17. goshgeegolly macrumors newbie

Seems fine to me. I have a slim on my 16 6 with Apple Care though keep it in a sleeve/pouch in my handbag & I am not using it with one hand. I'm usually sitting down and very careful.

The Apple employee demonstrated what was a tech case to me. She dropped it from 2 feet and let it bounce. Looked good but you'd have to want a really protective case to go with that.

18. TheChrisBlaze macrumors member

I believe this Switcheasy Air Mask should fit your stated criteria.

19. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow. Very interesting. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

----------

Yes, the tech case looks very protective, and as I mentioned, it's the case both of the employees I talked to had on their own 6's. But it's not sleek, that's for sure.

20. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I wanted to go even slimmer with less protection in addition to getting Apple care+, is there a super sleek case that still covers all four sides of the phone, offering at least some protection?

And does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this airMask thing?

21. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

new goals

I went in and got Apple Care today and returned my tech 21 case. I also grabbed an Insignia Soft Shell case from Best buy for 15 bucks, which isn't half bad but is a little too slippery. I already came very close to dropping it in the Apple store -- just before I signed up for the Apple care. (A woman who saw the bobble said "nice catch!")

So now that I'm less worried about drop damage since I have Apple care, here are my new goals in a case:

1. Super slim, with cutouts for all the buttons.

2. 360 degree design covering all sides. The ones with exposed bottoms or tops seem risky.

3. A little lip to for lay on the table. Doesn't need to to be much, just something.

4. Grippy/non slippery.

5. Extra credit if it will allow the the LED flash in the back to be visible.

So, any cases under 20 dollars or so come to mind with these characteristics, Gentleman? (Seems like most of the slim Spigen ones have exposed bottoms).

22. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

An Apple store employee told me he likes the Apple case for his own phone. When I said "but what about the exposed bottom on those?" he said the increased risk was worth it to him becuase the speaker is louder/better in exposed bottom cases.

Is this true? Is decreased speaker quality an inevitable price one pays for increased protection?

23. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I bought it even though I'm not prone to dropping my phone but you never know, accidents do happen. So no, I don't think it's stupid at all if you're planning to keep you phone a few years like I usually do. AppleCare + covers all kinds of accidents besides broken screens. Such as you forget it in your pocket and it gets washed, speaker failure, home buttons etc...

24. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up going for it. I guess I can 'return' it if I decide I don't want it.

25. 844090 Suspended

Here's a very slim leather case with microfiber on the inside. All the buttons are accessible and on top of that: room for a creditcard! :D

http://www.mujjo.com/the-sleeves-collection/leather-wallet-case-for-iphone-6-black