Can you record using a midi keyboard in garageband for ipad??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eroxx, Mar 10, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

I believe so.
    I saw a video of a person using a midi keyboard on an iPad with the camera connection kit

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't believe so.

There isn't a lot of documentation (or even a Help file on the Apple site) but a quick look doesn't indicate so.

There is support for an Electric guitar, via a dongle, that uses a number of software Amps and Stomp boxes. But there is no mention of a similar support for Midi keyboards. I haven't plugged mine in to try it out, but I don't think so.

3. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Midi

I wonder if you could input the notes with the bluetooth qwerty keyboard.

It looked like there is also a piano in there...I'm sure you could use that to record midi. If so - very cool for recording song ideas. Truly awesome.

4. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to see if you or somebody else does try .. Thanks!

5. 9OOYO macrumors regular

6. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks very cool -- but is there any confirmation it will work with garageband?

7. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Note quite sure. If Garageband iPad supports midi I don't see why not. Midi is fairly simple right? (I think)

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I plugged my nanokey into the USB camera connector and it worked.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Ooops!

I should have tried it first. Just got home, plugged in my M-Audio USB keyboard, and it plays just fine. Not a lot of volume coming out of the little speaker, of course, but it sounds great through earphones.

As noted above, you do need the Camera connection kit to give the USB something to plug into.

10. M87 macrumors 65816

Yep, camera kit + Akai LPK-25 = awesomesauce.

11. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

and just to confirm, that was for garageband?

12. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Can you guys please post a link to the camera kits?

13. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

of COURSE my midi keyboard requires too much power for the ipad to run...

14. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

A powered USB hub will fix that. Got one yesterday when I switched from the Akai MPK MINI to the Korg Microkey and it works awesome with GarageBand and loads of other apps, too!

And the Microkey is highly recommended as a mini-controller— it has 3 octaves, a pitch and mod wheel, and absolutely the best playing action I've ever experienced on a mini keyboard.

16. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

This site shows most of the available MIDI devices, both that will work and those which will not:

http://iosmidi.com/devices/

I have the Roland UM-1G Cakewalk device that I used with my white Macbook and my Roland TD4 drum kit, and the user Rich C. (in comments) says that one works as well... VERY excited to get my iPad at the end of the month!!

17. bobobenobi macrumors regular

I use the camera kit with an Akai LPK-25 in Garageband and it works great.

18. Chad tombs, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Chad tombs macrumors newbie

Ipad camera kit

Depending on what generation of ipad you have you can either get the 32 pin usb to camera kit or the Lightning to USB camera kit the adapter they run for about 30 dollars at retail stores you could probably find one online for a cheaper coast but beware the Chinese adapters may not work with you device properly I would recommend getting a genuine Apple adapter http://http://www.ipaddisti.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/camerakit.jpg
    the kit allows you to put a usb enabled device int to your iPads charging port
    Question How to hook up midi keyboard?
    Answer :plug a usb b cable aka printer cable or a midi to USB adapter in to your keyboard or controller then plug the usb end in to the camera kit then plug the kit into your device and load GarageBand and your keyboard or controller then becomes a midi device allowing you to control GarageBand with your device
    Sometimes when you plug a device in it will not work and your iPad will say on screen something like this device may not work with this iPad or device not compatible or this device is not certified and may not work reliably with this device the reason for these errors are some devices require drivers and the iPad can supply the driver for it is not a full on computer
    Something's when you plug in a device it will say the device attached requires too much power to get around that error you can plug in a powered USB hub into the USB camera kit then pug your device in to to usb power hub then the iPad should have enought power to use the device
    hope this helps enjoy and ps I'm sorry I saw this so late if I would of seen it in 2010 I would of posted this sooner