Can you recover data from a SSD with Trim enabled

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riverbum75, Jan 21, 2015.

1. riverbum75 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 2014 model MacBook Pro running Yosemite and I inadvertently deleted the 'wrong folder' from my desktop and then emptied the trash (not set to securely delete). I don't have a back up of this folder and I would like to recover it if possible, but even immediately afterwards neither DiskDrill or EaseUS Data Recovery could find anything.

I presume that this is because the drive is SSD with Trim enabled by default? Is there anyway of recovering the files - preferably with the folder structure intact or have I just learned a hard lesson...??

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If those undelete recovery tools failed to do anything, I'd say the data is gone for good.

Unlike a hard drive that just removes the location of a file in the index used by the hard drive (I forget the exact terminology), the SSD actually does removes the file.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    without stating the obvious, do you use timemachine back-up?

4. riverbum75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses... lesson learned!

Thank you for your swift responses... I only recently migrated to the Mac from Windows, but I have set up TimeMachine now. All my other documents are backed up multiple times except for this one folder as I had moved it to the desktop while I reformatted my external HD to a Mac friendlier format. In my enthusiasm to tidy up I then inadvertently deleted it and emptied the trash. Lesson learned... :-(

5. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

As far as I know, if you have used the deep scan for your Mac and cannot find your deleted folder, that means the folder is gone. When you delete a file or folder on the SSD with Trim enabled, the data will be erased forever.

6. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.