Can you recover data from a SSD with Trim enabled

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riverbum75, Jan 21, 2015.

1. riverbum75 macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2015

I have a 2014 model MacBook Pro running Yosemite and I inadvertently deleted the 'wrong folder' from my desktop and then emptied the trash (not set to securely delete). I don't have a back up of this folder and I would like to recover it if possible, but even immediately afterwards neither DiskDrill or EaseUS Data Recovery could find anything.

I presume that this is because the drive is SSD with Trim enabled by default? Is there anyway of recovering the files - preferably with the folder structure intact or have I just learned a hard lesson...??

2. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    If those undelete recovery tools failed to do anything, I'd say the data is gone for good.

Unlike a hard drive that just removes the location of a file in the index used by the hard drive (I forget the exact terminology), the SSD actually does removes the file.
  3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2011
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    without stating the obvious, do you use timemachine back-up?
  4. riverbum75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2015
    Thanks for your responses... lesson learned!

Thank you for your swift responses... I only recently migrated to the Mac from Windows, but I have set up TimeMachine now. All my other documents are backed up multiple times except for this one folder as I had moved it to the desktop while I reformatted my external HD to a Mac friendlier format. In my enthusiasm to tidy up I then inadvertently deleted it and emptied the trash. Lesson learned... :-(
  5. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Dec 16, 2014
    As far as I know, if you have used the deep scan for your Mac and cannot find your deleted folder, that means the folder is gone. When you delete a file or folder on the SSD with Trim enabled, the data will be erased forever.
  6. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

May 6, 2014
    edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.