Can you remove the glass from the glossy MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spandexman, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Spandexman macrumors regular

Can you remove the glass from the screens of the glossy MBPs? From what I gather, it's a standard glossy screen a la the white macbook under there, which might be preferable in some cases. Just wondering :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to void your warranty, sure. However, it's not glossy underneath. That's what an anti-glare screen is: the glossy model with the glass removed.

3. gooter80 macrumors member

If this is true I am shocked that Apple would charge an extra $50 to NOT put the glass there.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are literally dozens of threads in this forum discussing that very fact. Try MRoogle.

5. gooter80 macrumors member

I'm not suggesting you are incorrect, just saying it's bizarre they would charge more to not put the glass on. Thats all.

6. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that thread concluded that it was glossy underneath and the matte is an entirely different screen. Anyway, as you said, there are lots of threads on it, so i'll leave it there. When you say it'll void my warranty, what do you mean (I know what voiding warranty is, I'm just wondering why)? I mean, is it a feat to remove it, or is it just a matter of sliding some glass out or something?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The glossy screen has a glossy panel underneath as well.

To remove it, you need to buy a 2 suction cups and then use a heat gun to heat the sides of the glass... do it a 5-10 seconds at a time. Try to remove it with the suction cups; if it doesn't come off, try to heat it again. Repeat as needed. The reason you want to use the heat gun because the glass is stuck to the lid with very sticky double-sided tape.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It voids the warranty because the screen is not considered by Apple to be a user-installable part.

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

Only the exceptions that Apple specifically allows, such as RAM, can be installed/upgraded/replaced without voiding the warranty.