Can you rename 'Desktop's?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ayeying, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Quick question. Is it possible to rename the desktops? I have 3 excluding dashboard but one of them, I solely use for virtualization. I was wondering if you can rename "Desktop 1" "Desktop 2" to whatever?

2. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Alas no;
    One of the features I would have loved to have seen;
    with the current GM release, you can neither rename or rearrange these manually!

John

3. mmduluth macrumors regular

I REALLLYYYY hope this is something they fix in an update. It sucks not being able to rename them. I leave mail open in it’s own space and I want to be able to rename that space as “Mail”

This is something they should have thought about when they were designing Mission Control.

4. AdamMT macrumors newbie

Put mail in fullscreen and it will do that :)

5. cruddell001, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

cruddell001 macrumors newbie

agree

Somehow my desktops got rearranged. It now goes 1, 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (I removed 12). I don't know how it got rearranged, but I'd love to rename them if I could.

edit: it just occurred to me that if this happened, then there must be a settings file somewhere that contains the ordering and perhaps the names of the desktops. If anyone can find this, it's probably possible to change the names, and possibly even create an Applescript or other app that can do this in a more user-friendly way.

6. rezzo macrumors regular

rezzo

7. artisticint macrumors newbie

Wallpaper

An answer is to change each desktop's wallpaper, perhaps to a mailbox for your mail-desktop or a pair of dice for your games-desktop...
    Alternatively a jpg with "Mail" in large letters would make an easy to recognise solution.
    Obviously the ability to rename the desktop titles would be better/easier...