Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiloHurtz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Hey Guys

I have a 15" MacBook Pro and was wondering if I can replace the matte display for a glossy one and if so does anyone know any links where I can look into this.

I know people will probably think I am insane for wanting to change but I have an 24" iMac and I prefer the Glossy to Matte.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post

Thanks

KiloHurtz

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
yes it is possible, but not recommended.

Try looking on ebay for the screen, it will involve taking the macbook apart which again isn't recommended unless you know what you are doing...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
yes it is possible, but not recommended.

Try looking on ebay for the screen, it will involve taking the macbook apart which again isn't recommended unless you know what you are doing...

Why is it not recommended? Everyone has their personal preference.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Ignore the iFixit guides. In many cases they give you the long way around to do anything. For example, with the 13.3" Macbook, they have you open the whole computer and remove the entire display assembly, which is unnecessary as the webcam, sleep magnet, inverter, wifi antenna, are all still fine. Screenintek has you remove the hinge, which is also unnecessary. Don't follow any one guide.

Is yours an LED backlit model or a CCFL backlit model? Look on the bottom of your Macbook Pro. See where there are 4 screws from left to right? Inbetween the 2 middle screws, there is little writing. There should be a model number.

If it's something close to A1150, it's a CCFL. If it's A1226 or A1260, it's an LED.

LED LCDs cost more, you would be looking at $205 for it, vs. $140 for an older CCFL backlit model.

About 25% of the MBPs I get to do the owners tried to fix themselves. While I have no problem walking someone through the process on a 13.3" macbook, I would not suggest someone trying it on their 15.4" macbook pro. It's not impossible, but there are extra challenges, and many more ways to screw up the frame. I often see bezels not properly reattached, tops that won't click closed, etc.

KiloHurtz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys

and thank you l.a.rossmann for your very informative reply.

I will have a look at my MB Pro and see what the model screen is.

Your services sound great but I am in the UK :(. I wasn't sure if the whole screen needed to replaced or if it was just different glass.

Thanks

KiloHurtz

KiloHurtz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Hi Mike70

No I dont, sorry wrong choice of words when I said glass I kind of assumed that the difference between a matte and glossy display was what ever the outer screen part is. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.