Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I had a look at ifixit and it seems pretty easy, the only complicated bit for me would be re installing everything onto the blank SSD as i've never done that.

Has anyone successfully done that?

I have a 15inch rmbp from early 2013, looking to upgrade the 256 to 512gb.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I had a look at ifixit and it seems pretty easy, the only complicated bit for me would be re installing everything onto the blank SSD as i've never done that.

Has anyone successfully done that?

I have a 15inch rmbp from early 2013, looking to upgrade the 256 to 512gb.

Early-2013, yes. I think OWC offers an aftermarket upgrade for it.

Late-2013, nope.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
As above, the mid 2012 rMBP and early 2013 can be replaced with after market SSD's but the later (PCIe ones iirc) are soldered to the board.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
As above, the mid 2012 rMBP and early 2013 can be replaced with after market SSD's but the later (PCIe ones iirc) are soldered to the board.

They are not soldered! There just are no aftermarket SSDs currently available.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Lol, just been there :D
I should have looked there first instead of trusting what I'd read.
My mistake :)

Well, as no aftermarket replacements, or even enclosures/adapters/docks for the drives are available, from an end users point of view it might as well be soldered ;)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Owc have announced there working on a blade for the 2013 models currently.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Looking forward to third party PCIe SSD's. Bought the 256GB because of that iFixit teardown, before I go travelling I hope to upgrade to a 1TB at least so I won't have to worry about externals for photography on the go.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looking forward to third party PCIe SSD's
I don't know if you'll get too many options. OWC is the only one selling SSD replacements for the MBA and rMBP (other then the new rMBP) and its not cheap. I have no idea if they'll be selling the newer PCIe SSDs but the older SSDs are pricey

marivaux

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
Here's a question that I have--since they are not soldered on, why doesn't Apple offer upgrades? I assume that if your SSD fails while you have Applecare (or are willing to pay) they will replace the SSD as opposed to the laptop. But why can't you upgrade from, say, a 256 SSD to a 1TB--you know, later, when you can afford it, etc.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I don't know if you'll get too many options. OWC is the only one selling SSD replacements for the MBA and rMBP (other then the new rMBP) and its not cheap. I have no idea if they'll be selling the newer PCIe SSDs but the older SSDs are pricey
I realize there are no options at the moment, but I'm hoping. Samsung and Sandisk are making the PCIe SSD's right now, unless they've got some kind of order from Apple that forbids them from selling PCIe ever I don't see why at the very least one of those companies might put out branded versions.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Here's a question that I have--since they are not soldered on, why doesn't Apple offer upgrades? I assume that if your SSD fails while you have Applecare (or are willing to pay) they will replace the SSD as opposed to the laptop. But why can't you upgrade from, say, a 256 SSD to a 1TB--you know, later, when you can afford it, etc.

Apple wants you to buy a new Mac. IIRC, they have never offered to upgrade SSDs or HDDs after purchase. Authorized resellers will sometimes do it though.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
awesome!

How do i go about installing fresh OSX on it then? I have a 1tb external HD, but dont want that formatted.

Also where can i buy one in the UK?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.