Can you replace the old keyboard with the new?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by S_Chandler, Jul 20, 2008.

1. S_Chandler macrumors newbie

Hello

I recently purchased a 2.16GHZ Core 2 Duo black MacBook. I use it with the new aluminum keyboard when at home, which is the keyboard I'm used to as I had it with my old PowerMac too.

I noticed that the newer MacBooks have keyboards with identical keys and layout to the aluminum external keyboard. The old MacBook keyboard and the new external ones are very similar, but some things are just different enough that it's very jarring when switching between the two.

Is it possible to switch out the keyboard if I get a hold of a new style keyboard, or would I have to replace the whole top panel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. muldul macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, i think you would have to change the whole panel

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

On the Mac it's all one piece not to mention they new keyboard requires motherboard support.

4. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

U could always just take the keys of ur macbook and put the other keys in w/out replacing anything

5. S_Chandler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if that would work, since there are different functions on some of the new keys, like play, next/previous tracks, and others are in different positions.

6. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I hope its possible. I like the new layout with the media buttons.

7. vniow macrumors G4

It is possible, but only if the machine is running 10.5. The top row of function keys absolutely do not work in any fashion under 10.4. My shop recently got a crapload of MB plastic parts and I tested a sampling of top cases on a first generation Blackbook when I found this out. There's no hardware requirements or anything, the connector is the same and both are fully supported, as long as you're running 10.5.

And it is the entire top case part you'd have to replace, the keyboard itself does not separate, at least not in any easy way I've seen.