Can you replace the screen on a Late 2015 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by d_gomaiste, Sep 23, 2017.

1. d_gomaiste macrumors member

Hey guys,

Last night, my iMac fell face-forward on my desk and the side of the screen cracked. It's not affecting functionality at all, but it's pretty hideous and I would like to fix it.

The LCD display appears to be working fine, so I would just need the glass screen.

I know you can easily replace it with earlier models, but is this possible with my 2015 model?

Thanks so much!!

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

The glass is not removable from the LCD panel on the Late 2015 iMac and cannot be replaced on its own. It requires replacement of the entire LCD panel assembly.

3. d_gomaiste thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh, that’s a real bummer. I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case.

I actually have a dead late 2012 iMac... do you think I’d be able to use the display from that??

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

That's a good question... I've never heard of anyone trying that. I believe it would probably fit the case but even if it did work it would definitely be a step-down in quality from the Retina display. :(

It also depends on whether Apple made changes in the location of the cables or connectors.

5. d_gomaiste thread starter macrumors member

I actually don’t have the Retina display model! They’re both the 21.5” models with LCD displays, and as far as I can tell, they look nearly identical.

But still, like you said, the connections may have changed, and I guess I’d also worry that there are other internals that are optimized for a specific display.

Ugh, I wish Apple made this stuff easy for us. :(

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

Oh, sorry, I don't know why I was thinking it was a 27-inch! :confused:

Have a look over at iFixit. They have excellent step by step guides for replacing the screens. Here is their guide for the Late 2015 21.5 inch. They also sell the tools.

By comparing the guides for the 2015 and 2012 (link here) you might get a good idea if the displays are compatible cablewise.

7. iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

I recently changed my 4K display because i broke the glass on my old one, only solution is to replace it