Can you replace USB port on laser printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by satchmo, Aug 6, 2014.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

So I think the USB port on my multi-function Canon laser printer was fried during a recent power surge.

I can still use it to copy but without a working USB port, I cannot scan or print to it. Now I'm guessing there might be more to it than just a port. Maybe there's a controller board that was damaged as well.

Anyone ever replace a USB port on a peripheral like a printer?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If the port is physically, mechanically deformed and damaged that might work.

But outside of that, the port has no smarts. The pins electrically run to some network of components and an IC. If any ofmthose were damaged, you wont have a bill of materials to get parts. Probably BGA which takes some pretty sophisticated skills and tools to remove, remount.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What model printer? It is possible the USB port is on a separate daughterboard depending on model. Like Menel stated, if the circuitry is messed up then it will be pointless and require advanced board repair or replacement.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Can you file a claim on your hinsurance to get money for it and any other fried equipment?

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Does the printer have either a wired network port, or WiFi? If so, use that to connect it to your network via your router.

6. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the suggestions...
    It's a Canon MF4350d which unfortunately doesn't have any networking capabilities or wireless. So just USB 2.0

I don't see any damage on the exterior so yeah, it may be a bigger issue than I'd like to tackle. And probably not worth the hit on premium if I file an insurance claim.

Was hoping for a quick and cheap small replacement fix.
    I hate to add to the landfill, but with the low cost of cheap printers out there, I'll likely chuck this as I rarely need just copies.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Long shot...

Use this guide to take a look at the motherboard and check for damage.

It doesn't look like there is one from the photo but check to see if there's another USB port on the board.