Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
When I want to restore an CCC image, I usually boot into the USB hard drive that contains the backup image and then restore, then reboot into the main Macintosh HD.

But can I restore the CCC image without booting into the USB hard drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I want to restore an CCC image, I usually boot into the USB hard drive that contains the backup image and then restore, then reboot into the main Macintosh HD.

But can I restore the CCC image without booting into the USB hard drive?

The only way to do that would be to boot from a third drive. You cannot boot from the main drive then clone from an external onto that same main drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to restore (your internal drive) from a CCC backup, do this:

1. First, make sure the backup is "the way you want it" -- that everything is there and where it's supposed to be.

2. Have the backup drive connected and powered up. Restart. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN. In a few moments, the Startup Manager should appear. Use the mouse or tab key to select your backup, then hit the return key. The Mac should now boot from your backup.

3. When you get to the finder, VERIFY that you're booted from the backup by checking "About This Mac" under the Apple menu.

4. Launch Disk Utility, and do a "quick erase" of your internal drive's main partition (no zero-ing out needed). CAUTION: If you choose to erase the _entire_ drive (instead of the main partition), you may also wipe out the recovery partition. Be careful.

5. Launch CCC and choose to do a regular, cloned backup. HOWEVER -- choose your backup volume to be "on the left" (source volume), and your internal drive to be your "target" (on the right).

6. Let CCC do its thing. May take a while depending on how large your backup volume is.

7. When done, reboot. The internal drive should now look exactly as did the backup volume.

Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.