Can you restore you new iPhone 4 from a 3GS backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlmitnick, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Just curious - when I get the new iPhone 4, will I be able to restore from one of my 3GS backups in order to get all my settings/saved app data, all that good stuff?

Or do you have to set up iPhone 4's as New?

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Yes, and assuming your 3GS is already upgraded to iOS4, it will be a VERY fast restore. So fast you'll think something is/was wrong.

5. jlmitnick thread starter macrumors regular

Oh cool, so an iPhone 4 can restore from a 3GS backup...sweet! Thanks for the quick answer!

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Yes, I had to restore because I have my Checkbook data I needed to restore on my iPhone 4.

Restore data is just settings and App Data, Photos, Contacts, etc. All your Apps and Music, etc will re-sync once restore is complete.

7. Gadget Chief macrumors member

backup doesnt backup music and app info?

The comp i sync with bit the dust and i backed up my old 3g on a diff comp but want my app and music to go on my ip4..... am i out of luck?

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I did that originally. Then when my wife had problems and we took her iPhone 4 to the genius bar, the guy said that was probably why it wasn't working right for her. Naturally we followed his instructions to restore as new and lost all user data from her apps. Not sure yet if it resolved any issues.