Can you return a defective JB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by servo-15, Jan 30, 2008.

1. servo-15 macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought an iphone last week from the apple store which I have jailbroken, upgraded to 1.1.3. and am using my old o2 sim (not iphone tarrif).

However, after searching the subject, I now think it is faulty because the call volume is too low. I don't know how I can return it because they might try to claim the warranty is void because it is jailbroken. Everything else is working perfectly at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this?

Cheers

2. scotto07 macrumors member

in short, no.

any altering of the phones software will void the warranty simple software hacks (non-unlocking) are typically able to be removed before apple sees it.

3. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

4. servo-15 thread starter macrumors newbie

dammit.

As far as i know, I don't think it is possible to return the phone to 1.1.2, un-jailbroken. But even if I could, they would not be able to test the phone in the store and will probably ask me "how do you know the call volume is too low?"
    :(

5. MisterEd macrumors 6502

You can return it in 14 days as long as it's in its original condition, with everything it came with.

What you need to do in this case, is restore it back to 1.1.2 (clears jailbreak) and put the original iPhone sim back in, so it's exactly as it was when you got it (so that it comes up with the activation stuff when plugged in.)
    Then when taking it back to the shop, say something along the lines of "I bought it as a gift, and the person isn't willing to pay the contract cost" or something like that. They shouldn't ask any questions, as they are legally obliged to take it back within 14 days.

Ed

6. servo-15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnanks misterEd, that's an idea..

Thanks misterEd, that's an idea.. Is it now possible to un-jailbreak a 1.1.3 (nate's release) and return it to 1.1.2?

7. bgattis macrumors newbie

Yes. You can just restore it back to the original 1.1.2 or even the original 1.1.3.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Just do a restore in iTunes...it completely gets rid of all the visible jailbreaking that has been done to it..

9. servo-15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can package it up as new!

10. jeffmc macrumors 6502

be careful, if it is opened apple can see the date and time you activated it with AT&T so have an excuse for the question "why didn't you ever activate it"

if you tell them the call volume was too low, and they know you didn't activate it they won't take it back.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

Couldn't the OP say that he was able to test the functions of the phone by inserting a friends sim card temporarily, or am I missing something obvious?

12. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i don't think they are able to do this on their end-- apple has no access to at&t records