Can you return a MBP after being opened and used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evenire, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Evenire macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does the 14 day return policy still stand if the computer has been used?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. It must be in like-new condition though.

3. pbarclay macrumors newbie

I waited for 20 years to buy my first Mac, living in hope that PCs were going to finally catch up!

I had my heart set on a MacBook Pro 17", to replace a Sony VAIO that was showing its age badly back in August. However, the MBP buying guide showed Amber so I held off for a few weeks, whilst I gathered cash and courage to change operating systems. Everyone who worked in various computer stores I consulted swore blind that Macrumors was wrong and that there was no chance of a speed bump this year.

Eventually, after my VAIO embarrassed me badly by locking up halfway through a presentation at a regional meeting on October 21st, I walked into the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre the next day and bought their top of the line MBP 17 with an anti-glare screen. I installed some software and got to know my new computer in the next few days. I felt very happy until Tuesday October 25th when I read Macrumors and found that the speed bump had actually arrived.

As a Sony VAIO user of many years, I knew the only way to get a refund on a PC after you have used it is to buy it from Costco: no other retail outlet is interested unless you can prove the computer has a physical fault with its hardware.

So, it was with some trepidation that I approached the Apple store and asked for an exchange for the new model. To my amazement, they understood completely and within a matter of moments, a brand new 2.5 GHz model appeared from the back of the store and was given to me with a flourish.

I think they now have a customer for life :)

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So you got an exchange 4 days after you bought your MBP? Big deal, Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. And guess what: most major PC manufacturers offer the same deal. There's nothing extraordinary about your experience and it's not unique to Apple.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yeah, you can waltz right into an HP store and.... WAIT.. there's no such thing!

Reality is that on anything other than Apple you're at the mercy of the reseller.

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Right, it's not as if can buy direct from HP, Dell, Sony, Lenovo, etc. online like you can from Apple. Oh wait, you can! And some manufacturers have an even better return/exchange policy than Apple.

8. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

you realize you're in the MACrumors forums right?

I don't understand why you would degrade someone's wonderful experience with Apple's service. The thread was asking about returning a MBP that was opened and used, not if other PC-Branded computers do the same thing: and 'pbarclay' did the right thing with giving his/her own opinion.

Stick on topic, and try not to be rude. If you're not going to be helpful, just don't say anything at all.

anyways, Apple will most likely refund/trade whatever you buy...just as long as you're returning it in the same state you bought it.

9. Evenire thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I removed the clear plastic protection cover does this stop me being able to return the product? Or doesn't it matter?

10. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

i wouldn't think so, that doesn't affect the functionality of the computer what-so-ever.

are you trying to refund your whole purchase? or trade it in for an upgrade/downgrade?

11. Evenire thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still on the fence but either refund or exchange.

12. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Apple is fantastic with returns and customer service in general. End of story.

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Just being a bit nosey ... the reason for return?

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Yes I do. So what? Just because it's a Mac forum doesn't mean the truth can't be told.

Thanks mom, but just because I happen to disagree with someone's opinion doesn't automatically make me rude. I could just have easily substituted another manufacturer for Apple and had the exact same experience. The OP implied that this kind of experience was unique to Apple; I am just clarifying that it is not, regardless of what you want to believe.

15. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

id like to point out that the OP didnt imply anything. it was another member who replied about his pleasant experience. And you are right but like others have said let the member enjoy his great apple experience.

16. eternalife macrumors regular

Thanks for posting the story pbarclay. I've been a Mac owner for 6 months or so and didn't know they were that flexible in their policy. I did have a very positive experience getting a refund for some AppStore software I purchased. It would constantly crash on my machine and they promptly refunded my money and were very gracious about it.

To the OP - it doesn't hurt to try. Based on pbarclay's story it should be a walk in the park.

17. Evenire thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about the 17 inch MBP :) But I have decided it would be too big, so I am keeping the 15.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

He / she was on topic and was not rude. Just because you may not agree doesn't mean the person was rude. If rude was a rule that was enforced the forum would be empty. A few Apple enthusiasts are some of the most acerbic people around. The same thing holds true of enthusiasts of other brands. So what? It's a forum of public opinion.

I find the different viewpoints quite interesting. If we all agreed there would be nothing to discuss.

Speaking of discussion. I'm super happy with the new CEO, here's a man that's smart, wise, has great self control and an appreciation of his fellow employees. Traits that are a great foundation for success.

Cheers... :)

19. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Good call. I've been having the 15 vs 17 argument with a good friend since 2006. :D

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

True. But the way you communicate does.