Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I have an iPhone 6 coming this Friday but really have my eyes set on the 6+... However, I'd love to be able to open the box and play with the 6 for a little to test it out.

Does this nullify my ability to return it to the Apple store? Assuming so... but just wanted to confirm.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I have an iPhone 6 coming this Friday but really have my eyes set on the 6+... However, I'd love to be able to open the box and play with the 6 for a little to test it out.

Does this nullify my ability to return it to the Apple store? Assuming so... but just wanted to confirm.

You can still return it after using it.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Bought it from Apple's website last Friday. I'm gonna be SO tempted to open it when it gets to my door this week...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
In the UK, you can use it for 14 days then return it. Only if you order online though. Here it's called the distance selling act.

Distant selling act is only for 7 days. Apple are being generous and offering above the UK law.

If you bought an iPhone online you can't return it to a store because they are separate entities.

As far as I know the 14 day return period also applies to stuff bought in an apple store.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Distant selling act is only for 7 days. Apple are being generous and offering above the UK law.

If you bought an iPhone online you can't return it to a store because they are separate entities.

As far as I know the 14 day return period also applies to stuff bought in an apple store.

Wrong. It was changed in July of this year. It's 14 days from when you receive it. Apple are doing nothing above and beyond.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Bought it from Apple's website last Friday. I'm gonna be SO tempted to open it when it gets to my door this week...

I probably will. Bought the 6 thinking the 6 plus was too big. But after watching more videos and playing with other devices, I regret not considering the bigger model. I really wish the 6 was 5.0-5.1, that seems like the sweet spot for me.

My current plan is to hold off unboxing on Friday until I play with both in the store. But I'm sure I'll give in and open it up.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Last edited:

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I brought back an unopened 16gb rMini to my local apple store to exchange for a 32gb version and even though it wasn't opened they had to open it anyway to check the contents. Apparently it's policy.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I brought back an unopened 16gb rMini to my local apple store to exchange for a 32gb version and even though it wasn't opened they had to open it anyway to check the contents. Apparently it's policy.

So it sounds like I can open and use it then...

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada

Some people replace the iPad with a similarly weighted objected and resealing it. That's why.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Yes you will still be able to return it within the return period of 14days.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I talked to Apple about trying to change my order to in store pickup and they 'suggested' I open it. And yes I might swap for the 6+. But I plan on hitting the store without opening it and hoping I can make the decision without opening it. Only out of courtesy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.