Can you return and rebuy same phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lspice, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Lspice macrumors regular

Lspice

I see that there is a 6+ available at my local apple store, but I will need to return the regular 6 I got at best buy to reinstate my upgrade edibility. I am afraid if I take the 6 back to best buy first and then go over to apple, they will sell out before I get there, leaving me with no phone. If I go to apple first and add a line and buy a phone that way, can I then return the other phone to best buy and then go back to apple, return the 6+ and rebuy it for the on the line I want it on?

Is my question making sense?

2. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. I do know that canceling an online order (at least via apple) sometimes takes a day for the upgrade eligibility to become active on the account (ATT)

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The upgrade eligibility won't be immediately added back. It takes some time for that to filter back from the vendor back over to the carrier (sometimes hours, sometimes days).

Even if it was back immediately, I'm 95% sure that once a phone has been returned it has to go back to the manufacturer before it can be re-issued.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

+1 on the DAWGS!

5. Lspice thread starter macrumors regular

Lspice

Could I go ahead a reserve it for pick up by adding a line, and then return my phone to best buy, and then when I go pick it up have them cancel the order and then purchase it with the line I actually want to use? I think ATT will restore my upgrade eligibility pretty soon after I return the phone. I will obviously check with them first, But could simply reserving the phone but then canceling that order upon arrival to the store ensure I get the phone and then we could put it on the line I want...

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Why go through the hassle of adding a new line? Don't they check your credit score? Doesn't your credit score go down if you add a new line? Since they would inquire a credit check.

7. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I talked to an apple manager about this on launch day. You should clarify with them. But what you can do is buy the plus full price. Then return you 6 and get your upgrade back (mine took half a day or so). Then go tell a manager your situation. They should let you return the plus and buy the same phone right away. Like I said double check with the manager but they told me it wouldn't be a problem.

8. stryderlis macrumors newbie

Too bad you didn't just buy from apple. I just exhanged my 16 gig for a 64 gig no problem when the 64 gig was available at apple.

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Not the exact same phone - only if they have another phone of the same model to give you. Once you return an item - phone, Macbook, whatever, that serial number becomes deactivated in Apple's systems and can no longer be sold or purchased.

10. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

They can definitely do it with an unopened box. I did it last week to change the credit card that I paid with.

11. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Last year, I puchased a 32gb iPhone 5S on launch day from an AT&T store. Within the return period, I decided that I wanted a 64gb model. I ordered a 64gb model from apple.com for in store pickup on a new line. I then returned the 32gb model to the AT&T store, and they reset my upgrade. After that, I went to the Apple store to pick up the 64gb model, and I told them that I didn't want it on a new line but that was the only way that I could have an iPhone held for pickup. I explained that I wanted to buy it as an upgrade to my current line.

They knew exactly what to do. They returned it in their system and then sold it to me as an upgrade to my line. If the store rep is unsure, a more senior rep will know what to do.