Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I ordered a tan smart cover from apple online but ended up being able to get one locally. I already tossed the box for the one I got locally so I can't return it. Can I bring the one I just got from apple to an apple store to return it or would I have to ship it back to them?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Store can take it back, they will have you login to your apple account from their computer so they can verify the order. I just returned 2 online covers to a store myself both were opened.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you have the shipping slip that came with the cover, take along the shipping slip. That's what I did, and they just scanned the info on the slip, no need to sign in or anything.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I haven't even opened the box it came in. but I printed out the confirmation email just in case (which has the order number on it) and will take both in this evening. I'll get a chance to play with the iPad 2's as well (haven't even touched one yet)

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
they took it back but said they could only give me store credit. I figured it's better than paying to ship it back to apple so i took it. I'm sure i'll find something to spend it on or buy an itunes card or something. If I felt like going through the effort I could always buy something and just return it for cash.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
they took it back but said they could only give me store credit. I figured it's better than paying to ship it back to apple so i took it. I'm sure i'll find something to spend it on or buy an itunes card or something. If I felt like going through the effort I could always buy something and just return it for cash.

Huh, that's different from what happened to me. The guy processing my return asked if I had the credit card I used to place the online order, seemed like if I gave him the credit card, he would have put the money back on my card. But I wanted a gift card, so I never did find out if that's what would have actually happened.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Huh, that's different from what happened to me. The guy processing my return asked if I had the credit card I used to place the online order, seemed like if I gave him the credit card, he would have put the money back on my card. But I wanted a gift card, so I never did find out if that's what would have actually happened.

The guy said he'd have to check with the manager when I first got there but that it should be ok if i had the receipt. He talked with the manager and then came back and said they could but it'd have to be a store credit thing.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Mine was put back on the cc no questions asked, and that is their policy, so if you really want your money back, call the store and tell them. If they give you push back still, call the Apple 800 number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.