Can you reverse the sense of touch scroll?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeeflyboy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Hi guys (and gals),

I just got myself a macbook pro, which is my first foray into the world of apple other than my iphone.

Still getting to grips with it, but it's awesome so far!

Just wondering if anyone had any luck in reversing the sense of the two finger scroll? It works in the opposite sense to my iphone and i find it counter-intuitive.... ie you're scrolling the scroll bars rather than pushing the page/picture around with your fingers. If you get what I mean. Can anyone help me out? I have had no luck finding a solution thus far.

cheers

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Interesting that you find it counter intuitive. I've had an iPhone since launch and I never thought of the difference or had a problem. Good point though, I can see how that could be annoying. As to anything that reverses the problem I'm not sure anything like that exists, but I could be wrong.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

so you sort of liike it where you tend to flick the page up so it scrolls down..i like that function of the ipodtouch/iphone myself.

i tried looking into it but didnt come up with anything really.
    i guess im farily adjusted to both but it would be an excellent option.

4. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Haha, yeah I never thought of it before but it would be a pretty nifty option.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I made a thread about this about a year back, in pretty much exactly the same words.

But thing is...it kinda makes sense to have it the way it is now. When you swipe on your iPhone/iPod Touch you're doing it as if the piece of paper were right under your finger. But on the computer, that physical/visual connection isn't quite the same.

On the iPhone, you're moving the document (down is up)
    On the computer, you're moving the view (down is down).

I hope this makes sense. It's 430am here :D

6. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

Interesting. I too have an iPhone and I don't have a problem with the disparity, but I can see where you're coming from.

It would be a pretty neat topic of study for UI researchers.

7. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

hah,

Yeah I imagine it's one of those things a lot of people wouldn't notice until someone mentions it.

I'm sure I'll learn to deal with it (still day 1 here!) but it's a shame there isn't the option.

sammich - I know what you mean, but with a touch type interface i think it's more where you are looking than where you are touching that determines the feel.

Maybe I'm just wierd lol.

Oh well, cheers guys :(

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

This is what you are looking for.

It's called Smart Scroll, it lets you reverse the direction, and will have the pages "coast" for a bit after you stop moving your fingers, ala the iPhone.

I personally stopped using it, just because there is no setting I could find to turn off the inversion when I was using the scroll wheel on my actual Mouse.

Give it a try and see what you think. It's free, too (I think... May have a nag screen when you change settings but that's it)

9. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

ooooh, you lovely person you...

I'm off to experiment!

10. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

You make perfect sense. I though, find that the traditional model of scrolling is more intuitive in that I think of it as scrolling through a physucal rolodex. For me, the physical/visual connection is there.

But I can understand your point, and it certaonly would be good to have alternative scrollong modes available.

Tom

11. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

okay, thats actually perfect!

have it set up exactly how I wanted now... Thanks so much!

12. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

No problem at all! Congrats on the new Mac and enjoy!

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Interesting idea! But I don't think it'd work so well since on a computer you're supposed to be "scrolling the scroll bars" and on an iPhone moving the document (like some guys said above).
    But now I found a thing I'm missing on my iPhone, and that is something like the three finger scroll to go back and forth in documents and websites. I'm so used to it from my MBP that last time I did it like 20 times on my iPhone until I realized that there is no such thing :p