Can you revert to old firmware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by netrate, Jan 26, 2010.

1. netrate macrumors member

I am using the newest firmware, and a little too late I realised that the old firmware 1.4 will allow the use of mic with the HW check on it (I think that is right). I tried to down grade my firmware but it gave me an error and then wiped out all of my songs on the touch. Any idea how to do this? I don't have the MCnally Ivoice III, but I heard other mics will work, so I am trying that - but I can't do anything until I downgrade. When I try using Fring or Skype now, it says "A mic needs to be plugged in"./ Will it say this with the downgrade as well?

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Uhh...yeah, you CAN downgrade to 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 if you WANT to, but I wouldn't go down that road if I wuz you.

It is true that people made "homemade" microphones for iPod Touch during the days of 1.x firmware, but you have to remember that these were also the days before the App Store. What that means is that there isn't very much software around that works with these old microphones. You would be stuck using 1.1.4/5 for as long as you were intent on using that microphone, and it also means that you couldn't run any App Store applications that support the microphone. So, that means no Fring and no Skype.

If Fring and Skype were your two major reasons for getting a microphone for your 1G Touch in the first place, you would be completely working against your own stated goals by downgrading the firmware. Fring and Skype both require at least 2.x firmware, and the current versions available for download from the App Store probably even require 3.x by this point.

Just cave in and either buy an iVoice III, which I can personally vouch for, or upgrade to a newer 2nd or 3rd generation iPod Touch. Unless you are just dead-set on experimenting, and have time and money to spare, you'll be saving yourself headaches and frustration by using an already-tested solution to your problem.

-- Nathan

3. netrate thread starter macrumors member

thanks man, I appreciate the honesty.
    I know I am going to have to get a mic, but I guess I am unsure how it all going to work - do I still need an earpiece with the mic? Am I still running headphones? Do the mic get recognized right away? What is a good price to get the Mcnally mic for?

4. netrate thread starter macrumors member

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Some of the answers to your questions have already been hashed out in the threads that I linked you to over at ipodtouchfans, but to sum up: the mic gets recognized "right away" whenever an app that uses the microphone tries to use it (initializes it). In particular, the MacAlly microphone has a blue light inside the mic that shines through the grille, and it turns on whenever the mic is "active." So you should know pretty quickly whether it is working, even without trying to play back recordings of yourself...if it's working, that light will be shining.

You will need an earphone/headphones with the mic still, yes. The 1st gen Touch obviously has no speaker, and even if it did, like most systems with a speaker, unless they are properly engineered and have all the fancy features like noise-cancellation or auto-duplexing "speakerphone," you'd want to turn the speaker off and use headphones anyway unless you want to risk feedback and echoes and such.

There is also an odd quirk with the MacAlly in the iPod Touch where the mic won't work/turn on unless you actually have headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the Touch. I'm guessing this is because the MacAlly could technically be used with a 2nd or 3rd gen Touch, or even with an iPhone, all of which have speakers, and I bet the software is trying to prevent the situation I referred to earlier with feedback into the microphone from the speaker. So the firmware will actively prevent you from using the mic unless you have headphones plugged in.

Oh, and also: the headphone-jack-looking-thing on the bottom of the iVoice is NOT a place to plug in headphones or a speaker. It's a line input for, say, a different microphone, or another audio source that you want to record. Kind of a handy feature.

As far as a fair price goes, I want to say I paid $20? $25 maybe? for my used iVoice on eBay. Quite possible that they have come down in price since then. ...holy crap. I just checked. ~$40 was the lowest I could find currently. That's crazy. Too bad they are out of production, which is undoubtedly not helping to bring the resale value down in your favor. I'd be patient and keep looking...a cheaper used one is bound to show up sooner or later.

Uhh...the seller is wrong and possibly confused. The iVoice will not work with the iPod Touch unless the firmware is at a MINIMUM at 2.2. It isn't recognized if you are using firmware any older than that.

Hope this helps,

-- Nathan

6. netrate thread starter macrumors member

Nathan,

You have been stellar in answering my questions. I was also taken aback by the price of the Macally on Ebay. It looks like the Ivoice pro is the only one they sell now on their site. But I do believe I have bookmarked another type of mic that people say works - the itouch mic? But this one says 2G.
    Again, here is some more conflicting info:

http://touchmic.com/products-page/view-all-products/macally-ivoice-iii---for-ipod-touch/

These guys are saying the Macally needs to have the firmware at 2.2:
    For iPod Touch™ 1st Generation AND 2nd Generation

*** ATTENTION: Upgrading your 1G iPod Touch to 3.0 firmware from 2.X.X will DISABLE these mic's functionality. Do not upgrade until more info is available or you do not mind losing functionality.***

And then further down the page they say this :
    NOTE: YOU MUST BE RUNNING THE LATEST FIRMWARE, WITH NO JAILBREAK OR MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR TOUCH FOR THE MIC TO FUNCTION. (NOTE: SOME MIC ENABLED APPLICATIONS FROM THE APP STORE WILL NOT ALLOW AN INSTALL ON A 1st GEN iPOD, BUT FOR *MOST* APPS THAT INSTALL THE MIC WILL WORK.)

They say the same for the Pro model:
    http://touchmic.com/products-page/view-all-products/macally-ivoicepro---for-ipod-touch/

They are sold out of the Macally, so it will have to be the Pro, but I hate the ambiguity. I know it works from you because you have been running it, but why all of the literature that says contrary?

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Well, interestingly enough, I have recently run into some anecdotal evidence in the iPodTouchFans forums from people who claim something similar to, but not quite the same as, what you quoted in your last post. They say that it still works fine in 3.0, but that once you upgrade to 3.1, it stops working.

Although, to be more specific, the claim is that in 3.1, it will often work for a few seconds at a time before the iPod pops up a "This accessory is incompatible" box and cuts the microphone off. There were enough reports of this that I ran across that I believe it may very well be the case. So it seems like either an artificial restriction, or a mistake/bug. There was also some talk that suggested that the MacAlly iVoice Pro still works, and that the iVoice III does not, although I haven't found anything but the one post to back up this particular claim.

I actually haven't used the iVoice III with my old iPod Touch for a while (definitely not since 3.1 came out). I'll dig it out and test it. If what people say turns out to be true, I have an idea that I want to try which may work around the problem in 3.1.x. I'll post an update here once I have more concrete information.

-- Nathan