Can you run iTunes from a USB pen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrMister111, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I want to run iTunes from a USB pen direct so I don't have to install it on a PC.

I want to do this so I can run iTunes on a PC without install and then use my iPhone to connect to that PC with a USB lead to copy files from the PC to my iPhone, in essence use the iPhone as a large USB disk.

I can then take it home and on my iMac at home copy the files off my iPhone to my desktop. I know I could get a large USB pen, but my iPhone has a bit of space Gb wise and I need to copy back and forward some files from a PC I can't install iTunes on to home.

Is it possible to run iTunes direct from a USB pen and not have to install it? Anyone help please

Thanks

2. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Haven't had any success with this over the Xmas. Anyone help please. Would be really handy for me.

Anyone help please? Doesn't have to be latest really as long as can copy files to/from my iPhone.

Thanks

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I really don't think it's going to happen, but if you insist on trying you should reach out to the people at the portableapps site.

http://portableapps.com/node/22479 Found this interesting. seems like it's "not going to happen".

4. Bear macrumors G3

Use a USB pen or thumb drive to move your files around. iTunes has devices drivers that are needed for talking to iOS devices. And iTunes uses registry entries on Windows. A USB flash drive is your easiest way to do the transfer between the two systems.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Been thinking again on this issue. Maybe. WiFi HDD thing will be better. I've been having a look and there's a Sandisk Connect. It basically a USB pen, but also a WiFi Flash drive and can be used with an app on iPhone etc.

There's also WiFi card readers that you can put SD cards etc in. Maybe one of these might be better.

I prefer the Sandisk connect type as it's dual purpose but a little expensive at £50 for 32Gb version.

Anyone know of any others, or recommendations please.
    thanks

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well ordered a Sandisk connect flash drive. This will do what I want and more, ie use as a normal USB flash drive, ability to copy from flash to iPhone via app and WiFi direct, stream movies, pics from Sandisk to iPads and iPhones (holiday/car use to free up iPads/iPhones memory).

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'd have a look at portableapps.com - you won't get iTunes, but it's a way to get everything you need on a usb stick without admin privileges. VLC will do the job and I doubt it will have problems with any iTunes music files.

David