can you run the mail server with dyndns?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by twoodcc, Sep 21, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

has anyone been able to do this? i don't see how it would, since all i have is a hostname for dns example: my.host.net

but for a mail address, it would be host.net (for this example). correct? but i don't own that

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I haven't tried it, but one of the options when you use dyndns is to set up the mx record, so I'm guessing you can point that to your computer. I might try to set it up on my computer to see how it works out.

3. Intake macrumors newbie

Yes, I was using dyndns to host dns for my mail server for years. Just setup the MX record. Be aware, if you have a dynamic IP and want to host your own outgoing SMTP, much of the mail that you send can get blacklisted because if came from a dynamic IP. I'd suggest using a fixed and trusted SMTP server or find someone that will accept a relay from your server.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

5. rowsdower macrumors 6502

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes, but that may require subdomain delegation by the DNS authority for name.com. I've never done that way; I've always used a domain.

7. milk242 macrumors 6502a

dyndns does allows free services for mx records?? Can anyone confirm? I use zoneedit right now and it works well but I would just like another alternative.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

could someone explain how i would go about setting this up? and what's the easiest mail server to setup on Leopard?

thanks