Can you say scam?/

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joepa99, Aug 1, 2009.

1. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

It's hard to get scammed if you meet the guy in person and only give him cash and make sure it works before you get it. Even though I don't think its a scam I DO think it is stolen it has to be for that price unless of course the guy does not really know how much its worth.

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

He shows the mac in the plastic, but has replaced the drive and has backups? Not quite right...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, something doesn't feel right about this.

4. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Of course it's not well AT ALL. The Master Collection from Adobe is $2500. Not to mention it looks too well to be true. A 17" MBP in perfect state with the greatest and most expensive software installed.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Software is pirated and the MBP is stolen most likely. Then he bought the box and other accessories that he did not get with the MBP too. (unless he robbed a computer store)

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, the pictures don't match up. One is in box. One has box flipped open. One has no box/plastic wrap. Scam.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You do get the "upgraded" hard drive that comes standard on the machine.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The backgrounds don't match. one is on carpet one is on a light colored wood and one is a darker colored wood. The fourth is a stock photo. so It is a scam.

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

What is wrong with a stock photo off apple?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Plenty of legit sales use random photos, the amount of software this machine comes with is what raises the eyebrow the highest.

11. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

12. undertowmusic macrumors newbie

it's probably a set up for a robbery. you meet the "seller" and he robs your $900.

13. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware. If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true. You knew it was fishy, else the first post would not have happened.

Avoid. Unless you have $900 to sacrifice.

14. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Just tell him to meet you in person at your bank. This will mostly sway any would be thieves.

15. natharvey macrumors member

its either stolen or a replica from China. either way i wouldn't touch it. If its fake, then you have given him cash for a replica product that won't work like a true mac will. if its stolen, well you could use it but it might cause you problems in the long run because it is stolen. always avoid things that are too good to be true.

16. Ericatomars macrumors regular

yeah it looks shady... Or he could be real and just dumb as a doorknob... it's been known to happen... But i wouldn't trust it.

I recently bought an iphone of criagslist and the guy was really nice didn't know a thing about the phone which made me a little fishy... He wanted to meet up at my house, though i'm a cop i wont be testing my skills, but he happily agreed to meet me at a mcdonald's not to far from my house and it worked out great. Walked away with a 2 month of (reburbed most likely) 2g, 8gb iphone. I jailbroke it and gave it to my girlfriend... HAPPY ENDING

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Email him. Then you get the standard "I just left town, I am in <random country> on business, however I have a great escrow that I will pay for and will send it to you."

When that happens I usually tell them I am headed there tomorrow and would like to meet up.

I never hear back for some reason.