Can you see a red light next your 3GS earpiece?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jazzandmetal?, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I noticed this last night when getting off a call. I did a search and all I could find were people talkin about water damage or that the sensor should be invisable. It isn't constant, only when making a phone call. In a pitch black room it is easy to see you have to put your hand on it and move it. When the screen comes on so does the light. My phone has never been wet either.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yeah, I can. I thought I was crazy at first, but then I realized it might be the proximity sensor.

There are 3 circles in that area and one of them emits an extremely dim red light.

3. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I am glad I am not the only one. Was starting to think something was wrong.:eek:

4. YoungLew macrumors regular

Ones the light sensor and the other is the proximity sensor...

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

And the third one?

6. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I think its something the government (or even aliens) have implanted so it can read/control our minds.

I'm wrapping my head in tinfoil when I use mine just in case:D

7. pauliphone macrumors regular

the proximity sensor is two of the circles, one sends out the infrared light and the other one receives the signal back...

8. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Oh, I see.

9. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Yeah I noticed this a few months back when I got me 3GS. I presumed it was the light sensor for the auto-brightness!

I thought this because if you cover them while unlocking your phone and entering your passcode the screen is always a lot dimmer. Anyone confirm this?

AnDy

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You have NO idea how many ppl i'd convinced with my old iPod, by pressing both home and sleep at the same time and saying it was a camera :p :p

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

really? you didn't find ANYTHING on this when you searched? I see a post like this at least once a week (or one about the iPhone going to Verizon).

and I'm not trying to cut you down, but what did you think it was? what else could it be?

and the posts you found about the phone getting wet, the sensor shows up when you look down the headphone jack, just in case you do get yours wet

13. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I learned where the sensors are by reading the posts I searched. I did search. Could you be so kind as to provide some links to the posts you are speaking of?

The only ones I found were talking about water damage or that you shouldn't be able to see it as the sensors emit infrared light.

14. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=644004&highlight=iphone+proximity+sensors

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=730223&highlight=iphone+proximity+sensors

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=721110&highlight=iphone+proximity+sensors

these work?

15. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but that isn't what I am talking about. I understand there are 3 sensors. What I am asking is:
    In a pitch black room, while on a call can you see the red light if you put your hand over the phone simulating moving it to and away from your face.

I can on mine and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

16. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I can see a little light from them even when it's bright

17. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Weird. I have to be in a pitch black room to see it.

I guess the bottom line is I was just wondering if it was normal or not.