Can you see the Magic Mouse laser?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bkspero, Jan 15, 2010.

1. bkspero macrumors regular

Should there be light coming from the tracking hole of a properly functioning Magic Mouse, or is the illuminating source invisible (eg. infrared)?

My Magic Mouse seems less smooth and responsive than I recall it being when I first got it. When I tried to check it out to see if, for example, there was dust in the hole where the laser is located, I noticed that there was no visible light coming from there. When I placed it flat on a table and looked underneath...still no visible light.

Could it still function without an operational laser (for example, if the optical sensor is working off relatively dim room light and not the laser)?

I recall there being a thread here where someone asked about the safety of the light shining from the tracking hole. So I presumed that during normal operation the laser light should be visible under the mouse.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No you can't see it. The newer generation (several years now) have been using infrared lasers to track changes in the surface you move it across, which is why laser mice don't work well (or at all) on glass surfaces, because they are very smooth surfaces. For that reason it cannot work with ambient radiation/light, it needs a coherent source of light.

I glanced over that safety thread, apparently it turns off anyway when not on a surface anyway, so you'll be safe.

If there really is a problem with your mouse, you can probably diagnose it by taking it to an Apple Store and pair it with an iMac there and compare it's reponsiveness with the store MM.

3. bkspero thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

I suspected that, but just wanted to be certain. Will try comparing it side by side at the Apple store.