Can you selectively backup/restore data from iPhone to iCloud in iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andy Ftw, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Heya, so I don't have access to iOS 5 but just want to find some information about it.

Is it possible to backup certain bits of data to iCloud, such as just backing up the camera roll for example, or the contacts, or both but nothing else, etc. And then also is it possible to restore as new, then restore certain things from it, such as notes alone. Or does it either backup the whole phone, or none of it, like iTunes does now?

2. Larsennet macrumors member

You can selectively backup app data but you can't selectively restore which is a shame.

I'm hoping at some point they allow you to keep save games in the cloud so you can delete apps to make room for new ones but be able to bring them back later if you wanted to play the original again.

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

the Photo Stream essentially is selective backing up of your photos.

and i do believe iCloud will always keep contacts in sync.

as for apps, you cannot restore them individually, but iCloud will (except for this beta, where the feature has been deactivated) only backup apps that have undergone any changes (just as with time machine on MacOS)

4. Andy Ftw thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses guys. Still a bit confused but it will be easier to understand when I actually get my hands on iOS 5 I suppose :p

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Although you can enable/disable iCloud services individually (which includes mail, contacts, calendar, reminders, bookmarks, notes, photo stream, and find my device), backup is all or nothing.

So what gets backed up?

Basically everything iTunes backs up, including installed applications' settings and data/documents, iOS device's settings and account information, MMS/SMS, home screen organization, and camera rolls. The only thing that gets omitted are stuff that can be re-downloaded from Apple, such as apps, purchased music, and purchased video.

This may change in the final version of iOS, of course, but as it stands, it's all or nothing (and you will get an error if there isn't enough space on your iCloud account).

But isn't camera roll the same thing as a photo stream? Yes, except that backup is triggered only once a day or on demand (when connected to WiFi) and photo stream is near instant (when connected to WiFi).

6. shandyman Suspended

Only your last 1000 photos (tho on the beta it seems to top out at 350)

you can select which apps backup to the cloud too, which is handy as i don't want it backing up my spotify library, etc

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

I did a bit of a digging and you are right. Under iCloud | Storage & Backup | Manage Storage | iOS device, it lists a list of apps to backup. It's a bit shocking how big some of the backup data size is.

8. shandyman Suspended

yea comiczeal and spotify changed my backup from 4Gb to 68Mb! lol. I don't mind restoring those 2 manually as opposed to over the cloud