Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes. Any buyer with half a brain is going to validate that the phone isn't on a payment plan -- they'd be stupid not to since all you'd have to do is quit paying and they'd have a brick. Pay off the phone, get it unlocked, then sell it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Yes. Any buyer with half a brain is going to validate that the phone isn't on a payment plan -- they'd be stupid not to since all you'd have to do is quit paying and they'd have a brick. Pay off the phone, get it unlocked, then sell it.

Same can be said for phones purchased on contract as well. How are you going to verify if it's subsidized phones which a most being sold are?

Your market for used phones will get narrower and narrower.

Also even fully paid off phones can be reported as stolen and black listed as well months later.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Same can be said for phones purchased on contract as well. How are you going to verify if it's subsidized phones which a most being sold are?

Your market for used phones will get narrower and narrower.

Also even fully paid off phones can be reported as stolen and black listed as well months later.

that is way different. A subsidized phone has zero to do with the person buying the phone second hand phone. The $199 is what the person pays for the phone and they commit to a 2 year contract. If they stop paying the phone bill, the carrier does not do anything to the phone.

If you bail on a financed phone, the carrier will report it stolen.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
that is way different. A subsidized phone has zero to do with the person buying the phone second hand phone. The $199 is what the person pays for the phone and they commit to a 2 year contract. If they stop paying the phone bill, the carrier does not do anything to the phone.

If you bail on a financed phone, the carrier will report it stolen.

Incorrect. If person stops paying the bill. Carriers will blacklist the phone.

Look for eBay Ads for "bad imei or bad esn". These are usually phones that were subsidize phones where original owner didn't pay their bills.

As for bailing on a financed phone. The carrier doesn't support it as stolen. Look at ATT next FAQ section. They say the phone is yours. They will report you to the credit agency. But ATT next the phone is "yours".

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Generally irrelevant in the past as subsidized phones haven't been blacklisted. If a concern however, verification is simple; buyer/seller meet at carrier store and buyer has carrier put the phone on his/her account. If the carrier won't do so due to blacklisting, sale falls through.

You're grasping at straws here. You think the carrier will accept a stolen phone report and blacklist an IMEI that's been associated with someone else's account for months? Please present citations for the instances where you've seen this happen.

I'm also unclear as to what point you're trying to make. Are you telling the OP that he or she can't sell the phone?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Generally irrelevant in the past as subsidized phones haven't been blacklisted. If a concern however, verification is simple; buyer/seller meet at carrier store and buyer has carrier put the phone on his/her account. If the carrier won't do so due to blacklisting, sale falls through.

You're grasping at straws here. You think the carrier will accept a stolen phone report and blacklist an IMEI that's been associated with someone else's account for months? Please present citations for the instances where you've seen this happen.

I'm also unclear as to what point you're trying to make. Are you telling the OP that he or she can't sell the phone?

A simple google search will reveal numerous complaints after people buying phones, it worked, than stopped working after so many months.

This is the Sprint blacklisting after the guy used it after a couple of weeks. Happens on the Verizon side as well similar episode where it worked for a couple of months and than stopped working.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rked-for-2-weeks-Can-I-Unlock-and-Use-Tmobile

So this particular case the phone was activated on new buyer's account than Sprint black listed it.

This stuff happens. I buy a lot on craigslist. Got burned once. That's enough for me to get their driver's license and car tags down when completing the sale. They are welcome to my info as well. If the sale goes bad, at least I got an ID of them to file police report.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I ALWAYS meet the person who is selling me the device at the AT&T store, even before NEXT existed. The folks at AT&T can tell you if it's on next, if the person selling the phone is authorized to make changes on the account, etc.

Obviously if the phone is on contract, you can still get bruned, but you minimize your risks.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Phones will not be blacklisted if they fail to pay the NEXT device off. Like another poster said it will affect their credit report and they can't trade the device in to get a newer device when it is time...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unless apple checks the blacklist what's to stop someone from getting a blacklisted iPhone swapped out. Now they'd have a clean phone.

They go by IMEI on the phone. It's the same way you get an unlocked phone (if your phone was already unlocked, be it from the facotry or from the teclo) if you need it replaced.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I know that. But if Apple does not check the IMEI blacklist.

But they always do... that's my point. It's part of replacing the phone. The serial that they always process is tied with the IMEI. If the phone is blacklisted, they know right away.

I suppose it's possible that mistakes happen and they don;t process any of that. But that's not the norm. They are supposed to be checking these things every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.