Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Suppose someone who isn't in your contact list sends you money via Apple Pay Cash. Other than that person's phone number, is there any identifying information that is traceable to the sender?

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Well, it sounds like this new system will operate over iMessage, so I would assume that all iMessage rules apply. So the receiver will see the sender's address, whether that's a phone number or an email address, but I assume you can create an Apple ID with a throw-away email address and use that to send with. I've no idea what sort of info Apple keeps when somebody opens up a new Apple ID.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Now that it has officially launched, maybe someone could answer my question!

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I’m going with no. You need an Apple ID with associated payment method ( CC or other funding method.) I don’t think there is any way for that to be anonymous. At least Apple has all your info, even if the receiver only sees Apple ID initially.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I’m going with no. You need an Apple ID with associated payment method ( CC or other funding method.) I don’t think there is any way for that to be anonymous. At least Apple has all your info, even if the receiver only sees Apple ID initially.

I should clarify. I understand that the payment would ultimately be traceable by Apple. I'm just wondering if the sender's name is given to the recipient.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Read the terms of service. Apple just made it really easy to sign up for a bank account.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I should clarify. I understand that the payment would ultimately be traceable by Apple. I'm just wondering if the sender's name is given to the recipient.
Yes. The senders name is included. I deleted their contact from my phone and had them send me money. It shows under Apple Pay Cash transactions “Jon Doe” sent you money.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes. The senders name is included. I deleted their contact from my phone and had them send me money. It shows under Apple Pay Cash transactions “Jon Doe” sent you money.

Thanks for that. Was guessing that this would be the case since both parties need to be signed into iMessages, on 11.2, and have Cash enabled.

Throw in that you can request a transaction statement, where this information might be included, and that you eventually need to verify your identity once you hit the $500 mark...

Definitely not a system for paying for less than legal transactions.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.