Can you still tell if an iPhone is refurbished?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I just got my White iPhone replaced. I want to know if its refurbished or not. Anyone have any idea?

87119 was my original and my new one was 88116

So wasn't my orginal from week 19 and the new one week 16? So would a replaced one really be refurbished considering the original I got was on release date and the one I just got was made even before that?

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
I think replacements are usually new. Apple doesn't sell reurbished iPhones, only the carriers do.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Sawps are usually refurbs unless its within the first 30 days. Nothing to worry about though, apple refurbs are top quality.
Slightly incorrect. Refurbished phones are not provided by Apple as a replacement. Remanufactured phone are. There is a big difference between the two.
Most people merely confuse them.
And yes, the re-man's are good quality.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Slightly incorrect. Refurbished phones are not provided by Apple as a replacement. Remanufactured phone are. There is a big difference between the two.
Most people merely confuse them.
And yes, the re-man's are good quality.
i beg to differ, my replacement iPhone's WiFi was so bad it couldn't even pick up the wireless network in the Apple store

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
We were at the apple store the other week and my husband was getting his 3GS replaced and they told us that they never refurb iPhones.
So I would say you don't have a refurbed iPhone.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very true well depending on what you class as refurbished!

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
We were at the apple store the other week and my husband was getting his 3GS replaced and they told us that they never refurb iPhones.
So I would say you don't have a refurbed iPhone.
My first iPhone, the iPhone 3G, I bought was a refurbished that I bought for $99

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Apple store replaced my 4-5 month old verizon iphone and I had to sign a doc acknowledging I was getting a not new one - don't remember (or care) what "re" they called it

It was perfect condition and I am grateful they replaced it for me

btw
My replacement serial # is C8R**********

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I just got my White iPhone replaced. I want to know if its refurbished or not. Anyone have any idea?

87119 was my original and my new one was 88116

So wasn't my orginal from week 19 and the new one week 16? So would a replaced one really be refurbished considering the original I got was on release date and the one I just got was made even before that?
Usually in store replacements are refurbished. If they tell you it's new, it's only because they know that's what you want to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.