Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

In contrast to new emails, which stay in the email section until I want to view them, when I receive an SMS message, the message appears on top of whatever I am doing. (I assume that is true for all iPhone users.) I find that annoying in two respects. First, if someone else is using my iPhone for something, I do not want them to have an SMS intended for me suddenly in front of them. Second, I do not like being on the phone and getting an SMS message which I have to "ignore" before being able to resume using the phone touch functions. Put simply, I want new SMS messages, like new emails, to stay in their area until I choose to review them, as opposed to popping up whenever they come in.

Is that something which can be altered? Thank you.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
There is no way you can stop the new sms's from popping up on the screen.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I wish you were wrong, ivi7, but I was/am afraid you are right. It's a pedestrian adjustment they could make; I don't understand why they haven't. Regarding your question, decadentdave, I have no idea. Sorry.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
If you receive an SMS and you choose to ignore it does it still count toward your monthly quota?

yes... any SMS that comes into or goes out of the phone counts ... even if you don't want it and ignore it.... unless you're in the UK. Then i think you only pay for SMSs that you send ... (which is a nice way of doing things)

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
yes... any SMS that comes into or goes out of the phone counts ... even if you don't want it and ignore it.... unless you're in the UK. Then i think you only pay for SMSs that you send ... (which is a nice way of doing things)

I live in the UK and thought that was a dumb question as here you only pay for what you send...you can receive as many as you like as the sender pays for it...but then i saw you comment about the UK being different. what an odd system!

But from a technical point of view if your phone tells you you have an SMS then it has already downloaded it and if you pay for received SMS's (have i said thats really odd!?) then yeah by the time it tells you you have one you have paid for it.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I'm starting to like the UK more and more everyday. The UK gives me the feeling of, " we do things this way because it just makes plain damn sense" , and I've been feeling deprived of that over here lately. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.