Can you stop Spaces from working on a second monitor?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by owen-b, Nov 19, 2007.

1. owen-b macrumors 6502a

I've found my own personal 'Spaces Hate'.

I want to run EyeTV on a second monitor so my girlfriend can watch Freeview while I get on with my work on my iMac. However, stupid Spaces ties the second monitor into it's Spaces rules, so if I change spaces to Safari or whatever, EyeTV goes whizzing off the second monitor.

Therefore, I have to disable Spaces when using the second monitor in this way.

Am I missing something...?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

AFAIK, you can't simply disable Spaces for the external monitor, but have you tried setting EyeTV to display in all spaces? That might fix your problem.

It'd be nice if they added that bit of interface, however.

jW

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Or why not forgo Spaces altogether? Just open EyeTV on one monitor, and use the other screen for whatever you're working on. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but I don't particularly see the need to use Spaces

4. owen-b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yes, that's exactly what I'm forced to do by the inability to just put EyeTV on the other monitor and tell Spaces not to use that monitor.

I appreciate Spaces' ability to clean up my screen. I just like that I can have Photoshop and Bridge open on one space, iTunes, Mail and Netnewswire open on another, Safari on another, etc. Even on a 24" screen it's just a pain to have all those windows stacked up on top of one another and flipping to another uncluttered space to check mail or a web tutorial or whatever is very calming.

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

You can set any application to stay on one screen. All my adium chat windows NEVER MOVE when I change spaces.

Someone already suggested it in this thread, so I suggest you go try it.

6. owen-b thread starter macrumors 6502a

This would definitely be the answer it would seem. Didn't know it was possible but digging around has revealed how. Cheers!