Can you stream a 4k movie with 175 mbps

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by djsound, Oct 17, 2018.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I want to get a 4k apple tv to stream 4k movies in 4k...Yes I have a 4k tv but my internet is only 175 mbps right now...I think its supposed to be 150. Would I need better Internet to see 4k movies? Some of the new netflix shows looks pretty damn good but I guess they are not 4k as I don't pay for 4k netflix.

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

You should be fine streaming 4k from Netflix and iTunes.

Altered Carbon in 4k from Netflix streamed at a rate of 35 Mbps.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Awesome!!. Someone else on the interweb said that 4k movies on itunes end up really being about 1080p or something if you don't have a 4k connection ....but i dont know.

4. jole26 macrumors newbie

5. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

You need the proper equipment to stream 4k content that includes HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0.

I have no problem streaming 4k content from iTunes or Netflix.

I know Apple recommends 25 Mbps but I have viewed content that goes above 25 Mbps.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Both Netflix and iTunes state that 25 Mbps is required for streaming, so even if the content ends up streaming at a higher rate, you should be more than fine. This is assuming your home network can handle all 150-175 Mbps.

Actually, you should be able to stream Netflix in 4K to about 6 different 4K TVs, or over 30 different 1080p TVs.

Short answer, you are good.

7. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

Only? I know there is the 1000 Mega out there. but your internet speed is probably in the top 5% in most Countries. With 175Mbps one can stream a full UHD BR movie in 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Just to give another idea, most Smart TV have a 100 Mbps ethernet interface (so your Internet speed would be actually cut down in the TV), and they all happily stream any 4K content.

8. Ben Harley macrumors member

Ben Harley

Its takes around 8mpbs connection to stream 1080p video without buffering if the ISP is fiber optic and the connection is FTH. I mostly stream 4k shows and movies on netflix. I have a 100 mbps connection (FTH) runs smoothly. Never ever buffered until and unless something is wrong from netflix end. (TV App)

9. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Very cool info you guys have. =)

How did you find out what rate a movie streamed at? @Audit13 (on netflix) Thanks

10. Audit13, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

On the Apple TV, you need to enable HUD under developer options.

I installed Xcode to my Air. I then connected my Air to the Apple TV and enabled HUD.

With my LG TV and the Netflix app, I press the "Info" button on my Harmony remote and it tells me the primary audio stream (stereo or 5.1) and video bitrate.

I attached a copy of pictures I took with my iPhone of Valerian 4k and Altered Carbon from the Netflix app.

Edit: noticed that the attached images are upside down. How the heck do I rotate them so they appear correctly? :confused:

Attached Files: