Can you switch off Iads adverts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londondude, Jun 10, 2010.

1. londondude macrumors regular

Is it possible to switch this off in any way or is tough luck?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Why would Apple give you a way to block one of the features it is giving developers?

The ads look like those that are already integrated in free apps already unless you click on them.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

4. londondude thread starter macrumors regular

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

You mean, put you off to using free apps. ;)

6. Aero26 macrumors regular

I haven't gotten to use os4 personally but I really doubt it. Heck, rumor has it, its the sole reason iOS4 is free at all.

7. dpmcdonald macrumors member

I think iAds is brilliant. We're gonna see many more quality free apps!

8. sananda macrumors 68020

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

long as i dont see iAds in say the photo app...or messages or email app....any of the default apps that comes with iOS...

Something tells me though...the trend of iOS being free could lead to this...

10. dpmcdonald macrumors member

11. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

No it wont. Apple is greedy, but they are also smart.

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

You cant say for sure they won't just like i cant say for sure they will, but you have to wonder if the next major iOS update will be free or not. iAds is a part of the iOS now.

13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

sole reason ios4 is free? no way.

apple has never charged for iphone updates. it might have something to do with them not charging this time for the ipod touch.

14. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Im hoping for a jailbreak "adblock" solution...that would be nice

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

all an app would have to do is check to make sure certain items are being downloaded or not via the ad's server and choose to lock you out of the app.

Some jailbroken apps did that.

Some apps that were cracked checked back to servers to make sure the app was paid for and if it wasn't it would lock you out.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. Get the paid version w/ no ads.

17. jtara macrumors 65816

Of course not. The purpose of iAds is to provide revenue to developers who want to publish "free" apps, but still get revenue.

If you want free apps with no ads, download free apps that don't have ads. Pretty simple.

Otherwise, you're cheating the developers.

While I don't agree with the "relatavistic morals" of the younger generations, if you do, think of it this way. It may be OK to cheat ATT or Apple, but it's really not cool to cheat small developers trying to make a few bucks off an app.

Now, that said, I'd love to see the ability to ad-block in Mobile Safari. Of course, that will never happen, since Apple is never going to allow plug-ins or add-ons in Mobile Safari. I think it's iffy that they might approve this for a browser app. (Have they?)

I'm thinking there could be some solution involving a proxy server and/or VPN and filtering on your PC or server.

(Yea, I know that's relatavistic morals, LOL. But I see web sites differently than apps. Plus, ads on web sites can be SO DAMN ANNOYING. At least iAds stays put in one place and aren't splashed all over the screen.)

18. USGIshimura macrumors member

Yes, you could pay the developer instead of using free apps.

They have to make money some way. It is either ad revenue or sales. I prefer to give them money directly; support developers and you will get great apps.

People always want something for nothing.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, it's the free apps that will have these ads. If I find out that any paid ones have the ads, I will not buy them because what's the point of buying it when they are making money on the ads as well.

I think of it as being like HBO. It's a premium channel that has no commercials other than it's own adverts for upcoming movies and events. I wouldn't pay for it is it was loading with commercials.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If AT&T is charging $15 for only 200MB, I don't want to get 5MB-10MB iAds with trailers downloaded to my iPhone unless I click on it.

Does anyone know if the ads are downloaded automatically or only if you click an ad?

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

putting apps on a 3.5in screen that already has a menu bar at the bottom is lame. You're pretty much using a 3in screen maybe even less.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's not like Apple is introducing ads in a space where they didn't exist.

iAds>what free apps had before (i think admob).

Apple isn't making it more annoying to use free apps, they just want a slice of that revenue and they're making it a better experience. It's the exact same as it used to be: a lot of free apps will have ads and you can buy the paid version to remove them. Simple.

23. LinMac macrumors 65816

You can bet the iAds will be blocked by the jailbreak community shortly after iOS 4.0 is out. I will definitely be jailbreaking for just that reason.

24. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Then dont use them. Get a job and BUY apps then you wont have to deal with the ads.

what do you do on line? While watching TV? While your out and about in the real world? There are ads everywhere.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Myself personally, I don't watch TV. I cancelled my DirecTV because the only think I ever watched was the local news.

I buy all my TV shows on iTunes simply for the fact that they are commercial free.