Can you switch off the LTE functionality?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by will0407, Sep 24, 2017.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I was all set to order a S3 nike model however the Composite back on the GPS version is putting me off- having had a ceramic back on my nike S2 and it looking pristine after 8 months, it doesn't seem right getting the new version and downgrading in material (despite increased speed etc) and I'd be annoyed if the composite back got scratched as I like to keep my stuff pristine.

I'm thinking of buying the S3 LTE model to retain the ceramic back, and if I buy using gift vouchers purchased for below face value my spend won't be a great deal more than the GPS S3. I'm not on the correct UK network to utilise the LTE functionality (not that I would use it much anyway) so can I turn LTE off?

Guessing that would potentially help battery life as well.

EDIT: turns out you can... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578

2. profets macrumors 601

If you never enable the cellular function, then LTE/cellular will never be on or used.

3. pika2000 macrumors 601

Wow, that's quite a catch. Wouldn't paid attention until I read your post. Not cool for Apple to differentiate something small like this for the same "Series 3" lineup. I guess the price cut has to come from somewhere... :(

4. ardsar macrumors newbie

The lte variant also has 16gb as apposed to 8gb

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I only noticed this morning when I was about to order and then spent the next hour looking for details on the composite backs. Consensus seems to be that they will scratch more easily (which is obvious I guess!).

The problem is if I scratch the body, I know it will have been from my own doing, but if it scratches on the back from just wearing it, then that's just plain annoying!

6. tivoboy macrumors 68040

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

The LTE versions also have the awesome red dot on the crown.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Saw an LTE watch in person today. Red dot didn't stand out to me.

I'm curious to find out if the LTE watches, if unactivated, will be able to call emergency services (911) as can inactive cellphones. Anyone have any info?

9. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I doubt it. If you aren't going to be without your phone you should just use your phone to make 911 call

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

That kinda makes no sense. Someone who wasn't planning to be without their phone wouldn't have reason to wonder whether an unactivated LTE watch could reach emergency services.

11. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I would use my phone if i had wifi only apple watch and it was an emergency.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

What would you use if you had an unactivated LTE watch and didn't have your phone?

I regularly run without my phone, don't want to carry it on lunchtime runs. It'd be nice to know if the LTE watch, unactivated, offers an advantage over the wifi-only watch in those circumstances.

13. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

The LTE AW3 is made for people like you who go running without the phone. I would activate it.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I would too if the price were $5/mo. $10 seems excessive.

We'll see.

Be nice to know the answer to the question though.

15. TheColtr macrumors 6502

As far as benefits, besides LTE, would be the 16gb storage on the watch. Meaning you can store up to 8gb of music on the watch locally, vs just 2gb on non LTE models.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Has this been shown yet? Saw earlier posts suggesting there was still a 2GB limit but haven't followed the topic.

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The 8GB of Music was from early reviews before the device dropped. As of know the limit is still 2GB for Music.

Dave

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I still think the Series 3 Apple Watch is enough of an upgrade for those from the first generation Apple Watch want the speed increase and don't desire to use LTE. At least Apple gives you the option of toggling it on or off.

19. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

As mentioned earlier, just don’t add a plan and LTE will remain off.