Can you switch output settings using Siri?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by NameUndecided, Sep 29, 2017.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'm still a little bit on the fence about getting a 4K to upgrade my Apple TV 4. Most of what I view is going to be in SDR anyway, and I just spent too much time calibrating my television to have this non-HDR content all artificially enhanced most of the time.

So -- I know this is just a minimal difference in convenience, but does the AppleTV 4K let you switch to your preferred output settings using Siri, rather than digging into the settings menu each time?
    That would… almost be as good as auto-switching. Kind of. I'd still really rather it give the option to auto switch. But, so, like

Will it just let you ask Siri to change the output settings?

Thank you for any help. Hopefully the answer is Yes and this can be helpful to anyone who didn't know beforehand.

2. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

you have to do it manually and its a PITA. When the apple tv is set to 4K HDR it looks very washed out and muted. because its up-scaling everything. the picture is awful. the HDR screen savers look forcibly overdone as well. I reverted mine back to SDR and im still not totally convinced.

(Anthem MRX720 and Sony XBR 65x930d)

3. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

That's not true I switch output mode with Siri all the time on my 4K ATV using "change mode". It works well, but still pisses me off that I have to in the first place.

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

are you using enhanced HDMI or standard? because if i change the mode i also need to change the HDMI mode as well which siri wont do.

5. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this just got even more complicated. :/
    What is the difference between "changing the mode" and "changing the HDMI mode"?

I've seen the list of like "30Hz HDR" "30Hz SDR" "25Hz HDR" "25Hz SDR" and on and on. So it's a little tough to know what to tell Siri what you want, if Siri could even comprehend it.

Siri might reply back at me like, "I don't know. that sounds too complicated. maybe try digging around in the settings. this is too much. here's a list of movies starring judd hirsch. is that what you wanted? notice how dynamic and bright his skin tone is now. isn't that a cool feature? i'm going to go lie down."

6. B737, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I cant speak for all set ups, there are a million variables... Typically, if your TV and receiver are using "standard" HDMI communication you can run 4k SDR but apple TV may not allow 4K HDR. Once you switch the cable communication to "enhanced" you will get faster HDMI speed options in the apple tv as well as 4k HDR. Usually if the cable setting isnt enhanced you wont even see the option for the higher cable speeds or the option to "test cable" on the apple tv. On some set ups, you may not get a picture to the tv with the cable set to enhanced, and the apple tv set to SDR, in such cases you have to use standard HDMI speed + 4k SDR. If you want to switch, you need to change the cable speed too, which siri is not going to do and if not done in the right order you're going to get no picture.

^ YMMV....

with the apple tv processing so poorly on 90% of regular content out there, ive given up on 4k HDR and am just using the thing in SDR for now. if they just had the device switch based on native resolution it is reading, it wouldnt look like crap all the time.

7. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for clarifying. All of this more-or-less confirms that there's really no telling if it will be worthwhile until I have one to experiment with. It's just a dumb shame that the reason I'm not rushing to buy an Apple product (that I would otherwise want) is because I'm not in the mood for tinkering.

8. KSean macrumors member

"Change mode" just opens the Settings app for me, and not even on the mode settings. What in particular are you saying to Siri to get it to switch modes? I've tried various combinations of "change mode to 4K SDR", "change the video format to 4K SDR" etc, and nothing seems to work.